elongating holes on shock plates

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
I just got done sandblasting my shock plates tonight and stated to work on them. I am swapping form the 7 1/4 to the 8 3/4? How does everyone on here elongate the holes. I tried using my air tool with a grinding stone? but i borke one and wore through two others and still havent got far enough on even one hoes. There has to be a better bit or differant way. Any ideas? thanks
mark

I just got done sandblasting my shock plates tonight and stated to work on them. I am swapping form the 7 1/4 to the 8 3/4? How does everyone on here elongate the holes? I tried using my air tool with a grinding stone? bit i borke one and wore through two others and still havent got far enough on even one hoes. There has to be a better bit or differant way. Any ideas? thanks
mark

i dont think that will work... i mean the 7.25 have a 2.75" axles tube, not a 3" like the 8.75. u need the correct plates

I know they will work there has been alot of people on here that have done it and i have talked to people at car shows that have also done it. Each hole has to be 1/4" longer. there are post of people saying it works great but not sure how they are boring the hole out bigger.

I know they will work there has been alot of people on here that have done it and i have talked to people at car shows that have also done it. Each hole has to be 1/4" longer. there are post of people saying it works great but not sure how they are boring the hole out bigger.
send it to a machine shop or a freind with a mill. thats some heavy duty stuff to just grind thru... unless u torch the holes and then clean them with a grinder....

send it to a machine shop or a freind with a mill. thats some heavy duty stuff to just grind thru... unless u torch the holes and then clean them with a grinder....

You would be amazed at how fast you can elongate the holes with the plate in a vise and a simple rat tail file.

Having said that, I would just get a set of 8.75" rear shock mounting plates!!

A round file will work. To set up and do in a milling machine takes about the same amount of time and cost a lot more.

I had to do the set on Dad's 65, because I couldn't find a set of 8 3/4s at the time. I used the vertical mill here at work. :D

I went to a good tool store around here and bought a spiral cutting bit for my air die grinder. I clamped them to the workbench and it took about 30 minutes to get all 8 holes done. I think it was a $12 bit but WELL worth the money.

I used a drill bit and just rocked it back forth. I then cleaned them up with a file.

Find yourself a cabide cutter for your domore it will ream those slots in no time and will last forever almost if you don't over heat it. Roll it in canning wax every few minutes that will keep the teeth from clogging up, once they clog up they are hard to clean. You will find alot of uses for it for around $10 and they come in all shopes and sizes.

drop em off, ill put them in the bridgeport. Its how i did mine

thanks for all the input guys i got them done over the weekend should do the job.

Thanks bill should have got a hold of ya sooner.

-
Back