Engine assembly lube

-

504DusterIR

Reaction score
Hello everyone , Has any of y'all used any of these to lube up parts like cam an lifters ,if not what's a good one I can buy off the self somewhere if not I'm ordering joe Gibbs Driven

IMG_20230731_140853.jpg

This is a good one too. As long as it sticks to the parts long enough for the oil to get where it needs to be, it oughta work fine.

1690842228308.png

I'm old school- I use straight STP for assembly (I even have a couple old cans of Wynn's still on the shelf), and cam paste (currently Comp 152) for the (flat tappet) cams and lifters.

I just opened a bottle of the lucas tonight and that stuff is amazingly gooey and thick.... and a good price also

Grease is baaaad for assembly lube. It wont blend in with the oil and will remain in the bottom of the pan. It can actually clog up the oil pickup if you have enough of it in there.
Many years ago I used a moly lube for engine assembly. Luckily I decided to go with a different cam and found all the lube was still in the engine after a couple hours run time. That lube was pretty thin too compared to regular grease.

Before all this camshaft and lifter trouble, I used nothing but Vasoline. Works very well, stays put if you store the engine.

I second the Joe Gibbs stuff.
Years ago when I worked for GM- we were given white lube in a tube to assemble engines. No idea what the heck it was other than we lubed door hinges and trunk and door mechanism with it. Ugh! Crap!

Last edited:
This is what I keep in my arsenal. Used the federal mogul stuff last go round. Really thick green oil. Never a problem and engines still running strong. Over four years now.

IMG_4163.jpeg

I have not had a issue with the Joe Gibbs stuff.

Cam lobe/ lifter base lube and engine assembly lube are 2 different things.

Isky RevLube

Isky RevLube delivers unequaled protection for camshaft lobes, engine bearings, lifters, distributor drive gears, timing chains and gears, wrist-pins, rocker arms, valve stems and guides, and pushrod ends. It features a proprietary, heat-activated, extreme chemical that virtually eliminates bearing, camshaft, and gear wear. Isky RevLube does this with a special microscopic smoothing action that effectively redistributes loading over a wider surface area.

Last edited:
For years, I've used white lithium grease in a tube. I mix it with STP, 60% grease /40% STP and GENEROUSLY apply it. I do use the black moly grease that came with my cam. Break in oil in the cylinders. When I'm doing my bearings I "set the grain" of the bearing with a couple of strokes with "scotch brite" prior to installation.

Sounds like an Isky commercial, LOL. It is good stuff.
I got an arsenal of assembly lubes that I will be using on my 360.

ole man Dave

Isky RevLube

Isky RevLube delivers unequaled protection for camshaft lobes, engine bearings, lifters, distributor drive gears, timing chains and gears, wrist-pins, rocker arms, valve stems and guides, and pushrod ends. It features a proprietary, heat-activated, extreme chemical that virtually eliminates bearing, camshaft, and gear wear. Isky RevLube does this with a special microscopic smoothing action that effectively redistributes loading over a wider surface area.
Great product and a strong running US company & one of the LAST pioneers of camshaft technology !!!!

I've always used Casite Motor Honey or STP when I build my engines...

DSC04135.JPG

DSC04133.JPG

Check out Schneider Cams offerings. Used it in my mini-stock race engines for years runninig a solid cam.

-
Back