Engine Build ?????

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
I am going to send my 318 to machine shop soon and have a couple questions for all you seasoned engine builders.

After I get the block, crank and rods back and they bored it over if needed and cleaned the crank etc... should I check the every thing with a inside micrometer, and vernier gauge? Are these two tools a necessity?

Also, what can I expect to pay to get the work done block checked, bored, honed, crank checked and rods checked. Should I get everything balanced?

Anyone have any other tips for a firstimer?

ALWAYS check when getting parts back from machine shop, cost is all over the board.

Then check ring end gap and bearing clearence with the parts you got make sure they fit the machined block and crank.

Wash it all when you get it home I use pipe cleaners in the oil passages inc the crank.. then I soak it with WD40.

Is this the motor we were talking about on mopar chat? Did you change the pistion deck height? if so when you get that far check pistion to head clearance and valve to pistion clearance.. Have fun

First before any work should be done the parts should all be cleaned and inspected very carefully. To make sure that the crank isn't bent and not out of round, they should also check the bores for the amount of taper in the cylinders. The rods should be checked for straightness and size, if all this pans out then the machining process can be started.
As for the inside mics. and a venier caliper they have there place and time to be used but they aren't the most inportant tools, as the venier can be off with regularity. Use these for reference only and not the final measurement. Good quality mics from starrett are a must. But are very expensive your shop should have these.

BJR Racing

Dittio BJR.
You can never clean a motor enough. When motors are machined the crud goes everywhere inside.
And don't listen to guys that tell you that you have to check your bearing clearance with plastigauge. mic's are the only real accurate way. Plastiguage is verys to much. I do my own work and all I have are a good set of mics', feeler guages, venier calipers, degree wheel and dial indicator.

-
Back