engine colors help

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
Im sure this has been done before, but im having a hard time deciding what color to paint my engine. Its a 318, i know it should be blue, which is ok, but i would like to be different. Let me see some of your engine pics to help decide.

Here are the issues.

1) do i go black engine bay or body color
2) My engine as of now is painted Black (block) alumium painted heads, black valve covers, black oil pan, alum. water pump, alum preformer intake.
It looks alright, but last night i found something kinda close to sublime green engine paint and was wondering what others thought. show mw some pics so i can decide.

Im sure this has been done before, but im having a hard time deciding what color to paint my engine. Its a 318, i know it should be blue, which is ok, but i would like to be different. Let me see some of your engine pics to help decide.

Here are the issues.

1) do i go black engine bay or body color
2) My engine as of now is painted Black (block) alumium painted heads, black valve covers, black oil pan, alum. water pump, alum preformer intake.
It looks alright, but last night i found something kinda close to sublime green engine paint and was wondering what others thought. show mw some pics so i can decide.

I'm not sure if this helps any but my car is Sublime and the motor is the Chrysler red engine paint. It looks orange but it is the red.

I believe the engine being painted Sublime would look good.

Motor 003.jpg

Motor 002.jpg

Nice, Do you get alot of crap for it being black? This is NOT MY MOTER, but it is close to my colors. My heads, as of now are painted aluminum

vbgarage.jpg

Nice, Do you get alot of crap for it being black? This is NOT MY MOTER, but it is close to my colors. My heads, as of now are painted aluminum

No but no one has stepped up to the plate and tell me. Now if I had my choice the engine bay would be same as the car and the motor black. I bought this car already with the motor installed. But I guess if I ever pull the motor it will get changed. I hoping I start to build a 360 stroker some day.:-\"

My vote.
Engine bay,color of the car.(The Mopar way).
Motor,Street Hemi Orange..:mrgreen:

Picture 593.jpg

I've always favored a darker silver/grey block. It sets off any chrome or polished aluminum accessories. Would look good with a sublime engine compartment as well. Howard

more please,

motor= I never liked black motors because you can't always see leaks that well or see where they are comming from. I like blue with the green myself.

Engine bay= Body color, it looks better, resale (I know I know "Im never going to sell it.") you have a better chance of getting more money for the car if it is body color...unless it's a chevy.

Nikkis&

DSC04315.jpg

360.jpg

The blue engine is a 318 in my 70 Dart and the red engine is a 340 in my 66 Valiant. I stuck with he color that matched the year of the car. I think the bue looks really nice, especially with painted valve covers. I have a 340 in my 74 Satellite and I painted it hemi orange, I don't care for it anymore, will be painted blue next time it comes out! I used mopar performance blue paint and the red was Duplicolor chrysler industrial red.

Definetly paint the engine bay BODY COLOR, black is soo cheazzzy and non-mopar!!!!

DSC00754.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

I would go with a body colored engine bay and a blue motor. Your car is a72 so all small blocks were blue by then. But thats just me,

IM000241.jpg

Since we're talking engine colors here I have a question. What do you guys think about painting aluminum heads the same color as the engine? I'm thinking of maybe doing my 360 with the Mopar red engine color on the block & heads & the six pack manifold clear coated or powder coated aluminum color. Also will have commando 273 valve colors. Should I paint the six pack air cleaner lid red to match the engine?

All U.S. mfgrs went to black engines to hide oil leaks and dirt build up. This keeps the owner from attempting to wash the engine or seeing cause to.
End result is fewer drowned ignition systems (or worse) at car washes, dirtier mechanics, and possibly shorter engine life.
I prefer period correct colors over personal flare but you gotta please yourself. Just consider how difficult it will be to change it later if you decide you dont like pink? :)

1) Does anyone know where to get rattle can Sublime Green?

2) What do you guys think on the engine pic i posted? Its close to mine. I think the color sceem would look good in a Sublime engine bay.

I would go with a body colored engine bay and a blue motor. Your car is a72 so all small blocks were blue by then. But thats just me,

IM000241.jpg

I do like the Blue as well. But i want the MoPar valve covers and cant bring myself to paint my intake. lol

One year during the late 60's there was a BB Green engine color. I found a few spray cans marked as such that I painted this 1967 383ci BB with.

IMG_0165.jpg

1) Does anyone know where to get rattle can Sublime Green?

2) What do you guys think on the engine pic i posted? Its close to mine. I think the color sceem would look good in a Sublime engine bay.

Most auto paint supply stores can get your body color put into spray cans. I was quoted about $13.00 a can for some fender skirts.

One year during the late 60's there was a BB Green engine color. I found a few spray cans marked as such that I painted this 1967 383ci BB with.

Thats definitly different! I kinda like it. I was thinking of doing the same but wasnt sure how it would look. Thanks
\
That would look good in a black engine bay!

Since we're talking engine colors here I have a question. What do you guys think about painting aluminum heads the same color as the engine? I'm thinking of maybe doing my 360 with the Mopar red engine color on the block & heads & the six pack manifold clear coated or powder coated aluminum color. Also will have commando 273 valve colors. Should I paint the six pack air cleaner lid red to match the engine?

That would be so SLEEPER!! Cool, I would do it, would the paint stick good enough?

I'm thinking of maybe doing my 360 with the Mopar red engine color on the block & heads & the six pack manifold clear coated or powder coated aluminum color.

64 Cuda, here's a couple before and after pics from my website Gallery to help with your decision. It was done in "Blasted Aluminum" with "Satin Black" hardware. The customer is beyond delighted and already has it installed on his 1970 AAR Cuda.

IMO engine bay = body color
engine including heads (even aluminum) and intake manifold = production color
Remember whatever color that you pick needs to be ENGINE paint with the proper formulation so it doesn`t bake off.

-
Back