Engine compartment question

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Am restoring the engine compartment on my 67 Dodge Dart, well not exactly restoring just want to make it look nice enough that I'm not embarassed to open the hood. How much stuff do I need to remove. I have removed the grill, wiring harness, all relays etc., heater, windshield wiper motor, should I remove the sterring column, master cyclinder, brake lines, fuel line? What else?
Here are a couple pics of what I have to start with, the exterior body was painted in late 80's early 90's paint is presentable.
DSC00137.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

Thanks

Check out the link in my signature.....It is my duster restoration thread and there are alot of engine bay pictures during the restore of it and it should give you a good idea as to what all you need to do and give you an Idea of how clean it can come out by doing so.

Good luck!

How much do you want to get into it? You have to determine. The more you remove, the better it will look. This will be body color correct? How far to paint? A reasonable stopping place is the pinch welds on the frame sides, the pinch weld on the transmission hump/firewall ,the entire back of the radiator support. Good luck.

I stripped my engine bay down to metal with alot of paint stripper,sanding and time and effort.
DSCI0756.jpg

DSCI0748.jpg

DSCI0775.jpg

I then filled in the battery tray mounting bracket hole aswell as hammered down and smoothed out factory welding warps in metal.
DSCI0796.jpg

DSCI0819.jpg

DSCI0820.jpg

During paint
DSCI0947.jpg

DSCI0949.jpg

after paint and doing some black paint work on k-member,steering shaft and other odds and ends
DSCI1008.jpg

DSCI1009.jpg

little touchs such as polishing little parts and putting rubber caps on add a little extra pazaz lol
DSCI1010.jpg

engine in
DSCI1052.jpg

DSCI1104.jpg

As you can see.....I achieved great results going about it the way I did.....hope this helps!

-
Back