Engine Dyno Question

-

SoulSurvivor

Reaction score
My co-worker just finished his rebuild on his 340. He primed the engine with Royal Purple break in oil and took it over to a dyno shop to perform an engine dyno before putting it into his car. It cost him $450 and six hours. He said "they didn't have a small block Chrysler flywheel so they used a big block 440 flywheel and attached it too the 340'. The dyno went well(nothing blew up). I don't remember what the numbers were but I have to ask this question. How much of a difference would the numbers be? I told him to he shouldn't have gone through this dyno effort when all the shop had was a BBC flywheel.

It is entirely possible that everything was fine. As long as the 440 flywheel was balanced the same as the 340 engine, all was well.

it would be fine if it was internally balanced. but they take different weights if its externally balanced. not sure if it would hurt anything.

There isn't so much difference in the flywheels that it would change the numbers any, unless it was not the correct balance as already stated.
I doubt anyone would/could run a dyno test if the balance was wrong.

Agreed with those saying it's not a big deal. As long as balance is correct, it's all good.

I sure as hell would not want the mains partially pounded out after using a "six pack" flywheel on a neutral engine!!!

I sure as hell would not want the mains partially pounded out after using a "six pack" flywheel on a neutral engine!!!

I agree. I would think it would be kind of hard to feel engine vibration when you are sitting at a dyno control desk.

-
Back