Engine Temp

-

Boony405hp

Reaction score
Hey Lads,

I'm using the hotwireauto harness. I have an ENGINE TEMP SENSOR located just behind the water pump near the intake manifold. On the other side of the engine I have a wire with ENGINE TEMP GAUGE, this also runs to inside the cabin.

DO you have to run a separate TEMP sender for those wires? If so where do you install it? Is it possible to tap/splice in to the ENGINE TEMP Sensor wiring?

I assume that the ENGINE TEMP Sensor wiring transfers data to the ECU only as it has no continuity to the ENGINE TEMP GAUGE wiring.

Not sure about the Hotwire harness, but for my FAST stuff I had to run a separate temp sensor for the gauge as the one you mentioned is for the ECU. I put my 2nd sensor in the front cover, there was a plug there I removed. I would assume you can't tap into the first sensor as the sender may not provide accurate info to the gauge.. So stock gauge, stock sender...

Joe

Yes you have to use a separate temperature sender for your gauge you are running , I was going to use the plug in the front housing .

The operation of the gauges from the factory on the new stuff uses info sent from the temperature sensor to the pcm and into a Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus to transfer the information to the gauges, so there is no need for a separate temperature sender.

Street and performance has a good link for info how to install, scan to the bottom:

[ame]http://www.hotrodlane.cc/harnessinstructionsheets/57HEMIHarnness04252011.pdf[/ame]

This is what it says in the Hotwire Auto install guide that they emailed me:

15. Open Wires (wires vary by harness options)
a. Red – 12 Volt Hot at all times. (direct to battery)
b. Pink – 12 Volt Run and start. (ignition key on position)
c. Yellow – Ignition start. (ignition key cranking position only) You must use the included starter solenoid wiring for the engine to start properly. (Mopar muscle cars: You will need to use a momentary push-button starter switch with this wire on one post and 12v on the other post, the dual ignition circuit of a late 60’s to early 70’s Mopars will not work with the Hemi system)
d. Blue – Brake light output to rear brake lights.
e. Purple – Backup lamp output to rear backup lamps.
f. Orange – Overdrive off Switch to momentary ground. (optional, automatic only)
g. Blue/White – A/C compressor clutch. (12 volts to activate compressor)
h. Black – Clutch safety ground. (manual trans) This must be grounded in when the clutch is pushed in or in Park/Neutral on a non-electronic transmission.
i. Green – Speedometer output to gauge.
j. Grey/Black – Oil Press Gauge (open on both ends for you to hook up your own sending unit)
k. Tan/Black – Engine Temp Gauge (open on both ends for you to hook up your own sending unit)

Here is an email response from Chris in regards to what I've asked above:

"Yes, a separately installed temp sender. DO NOT tap off or relocate the engine temp sensor. The car engine may have an allen plug on the front of the water cover you can use."

There is an allen key plug in the front of the water pump at the top of the engine. I believe its a 1/4". Luckily I had a sender and adapter that is the right thread for this with my speedhut gauges. Otherwise you will have to drill and tap one to suit. I will upload pics over the weekend.

Here is an email response from Chris in regards to what I've asked above:

"Yes, a separately installed temp sender. DO NOT tap off or relocate the engine temp sensor. The car engine may have an allen plug on the front of the water cover you can use."

There is an allen key plug in the front of the water pump at the top of the engine. I believe its a 1/4". Luckily I had a sender and adapter that is the right thread for this with my speedhut gauges. Otherwise you will have to drill and tap one to suit. I will upload pics over the weekend.

That's what I did, drill & tap the pipe plug to fit the sender ( I didn't want it sticking out too far with adapters.)

-
Back