Engine Test Stand

-

DonnieLawson

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
Built this stand to play with :)
The engine , radiator and MSD box will go in my Cuda if I ever get it out of body shop hell.
It's totally adjustable for most engines.
Cuda Engine pics Aug 2017 (2).jpg
[/ATTACH]
Cuda Engine pics Aug 2017 (10).jpg
engine on test tand break-in.png
IMG_20170805_114917.jpg

How bad did it move around on you on start up?
I built one about the same size and had to jack it up on cinder blocks, because on the casters I was chasing it around the garage.

How bad did it move around on you on start up?
I built one about the same size and had to jack it up on cinder blocks, because on the casters I was chasing it around the garage.

Two casters are lockable... IT didn't move at all, I was expecting some rocking side to side while I burped the throttle... but it was very solid.
I was pretty busy watching the gauges and everything during break-in, but I had a go pro and a digital camcorder recording it, and the engine was pretty solid when I watched the videos later
The gauge pod shook around a little due to the height of it, the lope of the cam and me rappin on it :)

505 Cuda engine on test stand 6.png

yes, you should see mine! No rad yet but I suppose I could tack something up. Its just a frame on 6 casters with 2 2 bolt ears Mopar spaced on the front corners with some triangle supports on each side as well as a trans mount on the back portion. I built it not as a test stand but more as a rollable fixture for a motor and trans combo for the garage. That one is killer.

Nice stand! And engine! And shop! And pepsi sign! And.....wait.....what's that Cobra doing in there?! :)

Love it!

who needs an engine stand anyway? HAHAAaaa

I don't know why I built a stand when I could have just sit it on a 2X6... lol that video is cool
I got the Pepsi sign when I worked at a Texaco station back in 75.. The owner got new stuff and was tossing it.... Lucky me :)
And the 78 Cobra...It's the wife's. We order it from a local dealer and still have it... low mileage survivor.... just not worth anything, Wish it was a 68 Cobra :)

wow. very kool . ya know, i think if i build one of these, put my motor on it and to actually hear it run for the first time, would really be a big motivational push to get my butt in gear to work on my car again...it may relight my fire. lol

Very nice work.
During my latest engine build I also decided I wanted an engine stand to run in the engine in a more controlled way.
The building of the stand has become a project by itself because of constant decission changes in what and how to install.

IMG_5133.jpg

Some measurements for those asking
a 26" wide radiator fits easily... My 505 never got off 160 deg during break-in
most tubing is 2" square
1 used 1 1/4"square tubing for the radiator support and the gauge panel
4"X 5" steel plate for the wheels... "get 2 swivel wheels and two that lock"
square tubing that will slip into each other for adjustablilty
total length is 70" and total width is 30" on mine, build yours to suit..... but I think about anything will fit on this
ENGINE STAND MEASURMENTS 2.jpg

ENGINE STAND MEASURMENTS 1.jpg

-
Back