Engine "Tick"

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
My nephew, Elijah, was visiting us (during my father-in-law's funeral) last week, when I learned he is a "car guy". So, I took Eli out to the garage to show him the Dart.

I started the Dart as usual, but it now has a very pronounced "Tick". This tick increases with rpm. It has a cast iron ring to it, like your tapping the block with a small hammer. Oil pressure at (fast) idle is at ~50 psi (normal). This tick has appeared many times in the last 12 years or so (as long as I've owned the car), but has always disappeared after a few minutes of warm up.

This is the original 318, 2-bbl with ~115,000 miles on it. I do not believe it has ever been apart.

Where do I begin?:confused:

This is a real stab in the dark, but from your description Iwould guess lifter. Listen to it with a stethescope and see if you can pinpoint the sound.

I agree one of the lifters. They are hydraulic, on a 318'which means they pump up with oil. That's why sometimes the noise goes away when the engine warms up ie. The oil warms up and flows easier. Now, with lifters with 115,000 miles on them and I assume a lot of age, the lifters or just one lifter isn't pumping up any more, hence the ticking noise. Remedy? New lifters. Also a tic sound could come from exhaust manifold leak. You would be able to feel that with your hand on a cold motor. The other noise could be a rod knocking but that doesn't sound like a tic. However my first instinct are the lifters.

"This tick has appeared many times in the last 12 years or so (as long as I've owned the car), but has always disappeared after a few minutes of warm up."

If it is original and has the heat riser still installed in the passenger exhaust manifold I personally would be looking around the pivot shaft for carbon trails. exhaust leaks can be very misleading as mentioned.

I would be looking at that 318 timing chain......:banghead: 318s are notorious for timing chain slack....and,

I have seen a Oil Slinger installed backwards,.... fatigue the chain and cause a bottom-end noise that never fully goes away...chain slap on the timing case....very noticeable under 1500rpm.

The Nylon Camshaft Gear -
sickening that such a simple part, cleared more 318 mopars off the roads than any other mechanical failure.

this is MY Opinion/Advice.

Good Luck.

Spoke with a mechanic at my work. He said more than likely some "crap" stuck in a lifter (or lifters). He suggested I let it warm up to normal operating temperature and let the warm oil flow to "flush out" the lifter(s). Then change the oil & filter. I did as he suggested and my "Tick" is gone! :D

Your description sounds like a knock, not a tick.

By theway, if you started it right after changing the oil it would still be warm, therefore no tick.

Did I read this right? You haven't changed the oil in twelve years?

By theway, if you started it right after changing the oil it would still be warm, therefore no tick.

No, I've owned the car for 12 years. #-o
I change the oil & filter a minimum of twice per year (out of storage and into storage) or at 3,000 miles (rarely reach 3,000 miles per season).
I started it this evening (after sitting for 24 hours) and the "Tick" is still gone.

-
Back