Engine trans install tips

-

Bunker45

Reaction score
Have a 70 dart . Putting a 904 and a 340 in. All are out of car. Any suggestions as to order, tips, etc. i dont want to put both together and possibly scratch the new paint. Thanks for the help.

Many on here advise----in regards to new paint especially----drop the K member, and put the engine / trans / header combo "up from below.........." just like the factory did.

If you are careful, and have disc front brakes, you could even do this without breaking the hydraulic hoses loose.

"There's even a thread on that"

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=213653

But you don't HAVE to have a hoist or a fancy cradle to pull this off. You can block up the K member on a basic wood cradle, set the engine / trans on, and then just use a "cherry picker" to raise the body, assuming the rear axle is under, so you can position it a little.

KarlP-01_04.jpg

Number one, take your time! I put the tranny on my 1.5 ton jack and used an engine hoist to lower the engine in. Once the engine mounts made contact, I used the jack on the tranny to get them aligned. It really was easy to get things lined up. Having the hood off will make life so much easier. I also find having all your front suspension and steering components freshened up before the install, makes it easier. The engine will need to be lifted a bit to install the headers, depending on the brand your installing. I used Doug's and that was the way I installed mine. Others with more experience may chime in with a better way. Hope this helps a bit:) good luck:)

IMO, from the bottom as Del said is the easiest way.

ive done it the way you don't want to do it (engine and tranny mated) several times before
and that was with a 727 transmission, which has a longer tailshaft then your 904, so it can be done
BUT all the while I did it, people kept telling me, coming in from below is easier

-
Back