engine weight, 6.4 Vs a 318?

-

gregsdart

Reaction score
Anybody know how much difference there is between the two? The 6.4 will have the stock exhaust, so doe the 318.

I have read lighter previously, alloy heads for a start and the plastic intake to go with it.

I've also heard they're pretty similar. The new heads might be aluminum, but they are quite a bit larger than the old style heads, so it might work out in the wash.

When I pick up one of the Apache heads, they feel like about 20 lbs. Very light. A little research got me some vague numbers. It sounds like 485 lbs for a stripped 5.7, no alternator or pumps other than water.
The motor could wind up with either a 5.7 block, or a 6.1 as this is a custom stroker. I just felt asking about the 6.4 would be close because of the plastic intake, etc.

There was some early Chrysler literature that stated the 5.7 was 59lbs. lighter than the LA engines. I've seen that number used in various places on the web since then. A 6.4 would be virtually the same as a 5.7

59 lbs would be great! That and moving the battery back to the trunk will do wonders for weight off the nose. Then if I mold another glass hood,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I would say 50 or so pounds also. the la motor i weighed was 525 pounds i read the 6.4 is 485

-
Back