Engine went to full throttle and stayed there...

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
1972 coronet, 318, 2 barrel carb (forget the make, does Carter sound right?) The car had been sitting for maybe a month until last week when I drove it a few miles, then it sat again until today.

I was driving today, following a friend, he decided to take off fast so I went to full throttle to catch up. When I let off the gas pedal the car stayed at full throttle. I jiggled the pedal, no response. I turned off the ignition and shifted to neutral. Once stopped I started the car in neutral and it went straight to full throttle so I immediately turned it off again. It dieseled for about 5 seconds before shutting down.

I took a very quick look under the hood and the carb linkages APPEARED to be working fine. But it was a very quick look, we were in a hurry to get somewhere so we just towed my car home and went to do our thing. I know for sure the throttle return spring was fine, not the problem.

Now I've been called into work tonight and tomorrow, I have school on thursday, I won't be able to get back and fix this probably until friday. Anyway, what should I look for when I get to it?

-
Back