etching primer

-

gipperco

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

We have the Dart sanded down to OEM primer and bare metal now. I was told that I need to apply an Etching Primer/Sealer before I can put sanding sealer on. Does anyone know of this if so where can I find it and what exactly do I tell them that I am looking for? Any brand recommendations that are not an arm and a leg price wise?

Thanks

Hey Everyone,

We have the Dart sanded down to OEM primer and bare metal now. I was told that I need to apply an Etching Primer/Sealer before I can put sanding sealer on. Does anyone know of this if so where can I find it and what exactly do I tell them that I am looking for? Any brand recommendations that are not an arm and a leg price wise?

Thanks

What ever you do....do it quick.

Bare metal will start oxidizing all over again before you can say $hit.

Bare metal requires something, factory primer needs to be sealed. You can spray etch on the bare spots, but not on anything else. And you are limited to what you can put over etch. You can also spray epoxy over bare and primer, but it does not sand well, you need something over it if you sand. What I used was etch on bare metal, then I sprayed Evercoat's Featherfill G2 over everything, I am going to seal it with Epoxy sealer, then base/clear over the epoxy.

For the person working on his own project at home, epoxy primer is the cat's meow on your fresh bare metal. It protects the metal from moisture / rust, gives a great base for your sanding primer, and you can just give it a quick scuff and put your bodyfiller right on top of it. Give it one or two good coats of epoxy, then a couple of coats of Featherfill or Slicksand within the recoat window of the epoxy, and you're good to go.

So Epoxy primer, then the feather fill or slicksand, and then my sandable primer correct? Are Featherfill and Slicksand brand names ?

Yes. Epoxy, then Featherfill or Slicksand - brand names.. Both of these are sandable polyester primers - they're like sprayable bodyfiller so you'll need about a 1.8 to 2.2 nozzle on your paint gun. Put on a couple of coats, fog on some contrasting color of guide coat, and get out the long sanding board and some 150 or 180 grit sandpaper, and keep sanding until you get it perfectly straight. You may need to re-apply more polyester primer if you have any glaring high or low spots that need more filling.

What you refer to as sandable primer is a urethane 2K primer, that you can use over your polyester primer once you're confident things are as straight and flat as you can possible get them. Again, you spray on a couple of coats and sand it with the long board, except this time, you can probably start with a 320 grit sandpaper, and then to to 400 grit if you're using a non-metalflake paint. The final sanding should probably be done with 600 grit if you're using a metalic.
If you are going for that really super looking job, you can then reduce your epoxy primer about 10% and spray it on as a sealer just before you spray your color.

Good luck.

Are you supposed to spray a rust inhibitor like OSPHO on the bare metal before you spray the epoxy primer or is that just an option and not really necessary?

-
Back