Ever do something stupid when you get tired..

-

grassy

Reaction score
The other day I was still working on the car when I should have been inside have a cup of joe with my feet up but we were pushing for the car to be completed by end of month. Not a chance now..I am driving the daughter to university tomorrow morning. Darn...

Anyway, I was installing the passenger side mirror (glass is out) and I twisted the adjustable head..it was stiff so w/o thinking, I squirted it with oil to free it up and then it occurred what the heck I had just done..:eek:ops::banghead::banghead:
So, I have tried cleaning off the oil with brake cleaner but with no joy...it still is easy to move. How do i remove the oil so it is stiff to adjust. The mirror is installed and the interior door piece have been installed.

Thanks, Ian.

Yes..it is metal...it is the ball that allows you to rotate you mirror..will try on Monday..thanks...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Hell, I do stupid stuff when I am WIDE AWAKE. Stuff happens, I am sure you will get it fixed. Good Luck

As a radio amateur I used to work quite a bit on amateur band linear amplifiers. Vacuum tube amps with plate voltages from 3000--5000 and sometimes a little higher are common. This is something you do not want to screw around with.

One late weekend night, probably a holiday weekend as I was up late, I came VERY close to making a really big mistake, that would have put me across a HV power supply

I had the case safety switch bypassed, and thought I had unplugged it. This was an "external anode" 4cx1500A so you cannot see that the tube filament is lit up. I NEARLY got my hand on the tube when I just thought "better double check."

The "big part" of the tube you see here is the air cooled anode, and has 4000 volts exposed

5CX1500A.JPG

^ I decided to check out a TV I had sitting in my basement for about 10 years because it quit working- turns out some of those capacitors can hold a lot of voltage for a long, long time lol.

grassy, if you can get to the ball, you can try what I did to fix my rearview mirror flopping around-I put some krazy glue on it (the ball/socket, that is) and moved the mirror around as it dried- worked great.

You call that a mistake, give yourself a break friend, last mistake I made while tired was putting my $5000 Acura TL into a hydro pole ;) no airbags went off :thumblef:

Nice to know I am not alone :)

I shall the suggestions on Wednesday...I am going back to school tomorrow.. going to feel odd with much of the population 35 years younger than me.

Thank you.
Ian.

-
Back