Ever feel like you bought the wrong car?

-

oneway71

Reaction score
Have you ever felt like you bought the wrong car?

I think the '73 Dart I got is going to fight me all the way! I keep putting money in it and haven't been able to drive it yet.

The latest, I bought a Lokar throttle cable, original too short, and hooked it up. Now I have no start, checked for spark, no spark, now I have spark but havent been able to start it.

I guess some cars just dont want to be driven again. =P~

I dont have all the time needed for my own projects. Maybe I should sell the 3 A bodies and buy one already done...... I just want to drive one, this summer!

It is not uncommon for those of us that live in areas where winter is a snow and salt reality to plan for being able to "drive" in the short summer season. So when life/problems/issues crop up, sometimes it makes us a little crazy. Hoping you get that drivin feeling before the snow flies, but if not, at least you have all winter to get her sorted out. :)

Grant

Yup,My last project was a total wash.My new project is progressing nicely.Although I thought I'd be driving it already .Don't get discouraged,just remember nothing good comes easy.

I wont get too discouraged. I need to get a friends car finished so I will have time to do one of mine this winter. I am going to do the Duster 1st followed by the Dart, then the Valiant will be redone. And of course still squeeze in 7 others (non Mopar) that need to be done.......

It's kinda hard to decide which one to do first, they all need about the same amount of work and I like them all.

Nope, had mine for 13 years, guess its a keeper!! Best 5,000.00 I ever spent.

24 May 2010 garden 001.jpg

Some times I do. But after looking it over I say "well I can fix it". I would say or do some thing else but I don't know what that would be. If you got any ideas let me know. LOL

"well I can fix it" always gets me into trouble. I have been trying not to say this anymore...lol I have done well over the last 2 years I have only purchased 5 or 6 cars in that time. Usually I get way more than that......

I've had my duster for two years and only had time to clean out the dead mice so far. Don't feel bad, at least progress is being made. I'm hoping to start on the undercarriage this winter.

I wont get too discouraged. I need to get a friends car finished so I will have time to do one of mine this winter. I am going to do the Duster 1st followed by the Dart, then the Valiant will be redone. And of course still squeeze in 7 others (non Mopar) that need to be done.......

It's kinda hard to decide which one to do first, they all need about the same amount of work and I like them all.

Easy decision...the Mopars come first, of course!! :-D

Once you get your problems figured out,you,ll change your tune when enjoying crusies and shows with the car.I have 2 cars that I,m always working/improving on.It,s just what we gearheads do to keep us going.Good Luck and get er out and enjoy!8)

I replaced almost everything to try and get my brakes to work right and they still dont. i gave up for the time being, they work fine just too spongy. then i had to get the engine running right, that took a good 4 weeks. in the end the spark plug wires that appeared to be brand new were junk, this is after doing a timing chain and other stuff. every issue just fights me. but i know if i keep fighting back one day ill have a really nice car. Dont let your car get the best of you, when it knocks you down get back up and punch it in the face. (not literally of course)

I haven't bought a car yet, but I sure don't want to make the wrong decision. So far I'm stuck between a 1965 Dart, and a 1941-47 Chevrolet 3 Ton Flatbed. Two completely different vehicles, but both so very cool. I'm starting to lean toward the 3 Ton because there's snow on the roads for almost 6 months, plus having an old truck for mudding, and screwing around in the snow would be fun. Of course there's still the problem of getting to my place, and storing it :angry7:

Someon down the road has a '72 Dart 340 for 7k......I was thinking about getting it just to have something to drive this summer......That would make 4 abodies and several others.....way to many.

The Dart for 7k needs a little upholstery work, not much. It also needs smaller tires the rears rub a little, other than that it appeared to be good. He is 4k less than he was a few years ago.

Dart link http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1759300881.html

I bought my 72 Duster in 2007 and planned on putting a V8 in it only to find a 70 Duster on Craigslist already with a V8 2 months later,oh well,lol:angry7:

I feel that way sometimes, when I see cars that have never been hit and with lots of upgrades completed, but I have so much $$ into mine already there's no turning back. Plus I feel like I have a responsibility to keep it on the road.

I know your pain I just got mine running and found out I need to rebuild the engine and the tranny but at least all the fitment issues are figured out. I was planning to get it on the road by july of this year but plans changed so I guess body work first then motor just keep your head up you'll see the light eventually

Glad to hear I am not the only one. I went to move the Valiant today and the starter is acting up. So both the Dart and Valiant are having trouble starting now, must be a virus going around.

I've had a lot of "burn out" projects.. I built a 63 chevy rat-rod pick up with spare parts I had laying around in about a month, I love taking it out.. That got me back into the buildin mood.. I try and do something to my 66-valiant everyday...

i know what you mean. i have found that if you just replace everything mechanical on the car as soon as you get it, then it will work fine. i've got 5,000 trouble free miiles on the wagon since september.

HAHA!

I know the feeling. I've had to do everything twice on my car. I've been building race cars for years, but this thing has been cursed from the word go.

Some highlights:

Timing chain kit came with two chains and no cam sprocket
NEW heads had the guides too tight. Fought that tapping forever till it finally siezed up.
Header install was, well, a header install on an A-body
Schumacher mounts moved everything up an inch, driveshaft became too short
brand new alternator went bad right before eliminations
Decided to build my own 904 (for the first time), turned into a cluster nightmare because the core I had was a lock up unit.
Had overheating problems due to set of pullies bought with GIGANTIC water pump pulley (took a while to narrow that down)
Electric fan bad out of the box

But I've managed to get through all of it (so far). I've gotten 6 passes in 2 years! LOL.

I try to think of all the gas I've saved by being stuck in the garage!

Steve

Even when I finish one of them I probably wont be able to find time to enjoy it. Friends of mine that have finished cars are lucky if they get them out once a year.

been there still there. my 66 cuda was originally going to be a 67 mustang... guess I chose the wrong car... hope there are still mustangs floating around... because this cuda is is going back out to sea.

been there still there. my 66 cuda was originally going to be a 67 mustang... guess I chose the wrong car... hope there are still mustangs floating around... because this cuda is is going back out to sea.

You might find a decent deal on a 67 trunk lid stang, the fastbacks went through the roof on price after "gone in 60 seconds"...

-
Back