Exhaust Headers Advice??

-

dodgedarren

Reaction score
I am about to undertake a slant 6 to 440 bigblock upgrade and I am looking for advice oh what headers are the easiest to work with for space and cost.

Schumacher work very well I've used a set in the past and fitment was good
Same here, the Schumacher's make life easy. They are small and do cost some power compared to bigger headers but if your engine is mild the loss is not too bad. They fit with power steering too.

I have always run hooker fenderwells. Yeah,I know. Lots of people dont like em. I do. Easy to get at the plugs. Plenty of room to work around. And no burned plug wires. I hate burning plug wires.

Same here, the Schumacher's make life easy. They are small and do cost some power compared to bigger headers but if your engine is mild the loss is not too bad. They fit with power steering too.

Schumacher headers here. Work great with a 500HP motor.

Schumacher headers here. Work great with a 500HP motor.

Yup, mine is 500+ hp. I ran a best of 11.48@ 117 with the Schumachers through 3" exhaust. I had modified my Schumies by cutting off the 2.5" collectors and going to 3" ones with V-band flange connectors. If you go to my picture gallery you can see how it was done. Not sure how much that helped because I never ran them without the mod. I now run Bob Mazzolini Propart headers, they are huge 2 to 2 and 1/8 step with 3.5" collectors. Best with the big headers is 11.125 @ 121. I'm not sure how much of the gain is from the headers because I discovered that I had been running lean with jets that were too small when I had the small headers on it. My guess is that if I was not lean before the header swap it would have been running 11.30s-11.40s. With that said I estimate the Schumies were only costing about 30-40 hp and a quarter second in the 1/4 mile. The Schumachers are not nearly as bad as most guys think and like I said, life is easy with them, tons of room left in the engine bay.

I'm new at all this but I bought a set of schumachers for my 69 383 dart to me they fit great but this is my first car build. They look great! Only thing I wish I would have bought angled plug wires because they hit my inner fenders. FYI I know absolutely nothing about putting together a car but just research alot.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1441382293077.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 20160123_103934.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 265
  • FB_IMG_1441382350086.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 248
I have old CPPA 2" 440 headers on my 383 - made by TTi they fit great after needing pounding around the steering box/linkage, and the Schumacher motor mount shim kit - No.6 plug takes awhile to do but can't complain.. they fit better than B body headers that's for sure

I have old CPPA 2" 440 headers on my 383 - made by TTi they fit great after needing pounding around the steering box/linkage, and the Schumacher motor mount shim kit - No.6 plug takes awhile to do but can't complain.. they fit better than B body headers that's for sure

Do you have a power or manual steering box? Only asking as I am putting in a Borgeson box in my dart w/440 and I'm still undecided on what headers to use.

I'm new at all this but I bought a set of schumachers for my 69 383 dart to me they fit great but this is my first car build. They look great! Only thing I wish I would have bought angled plug wires because they hit my inner fenders. FYI I know absolutely nothing about putting together a car but just research alot.

Looks like your doing a pretty good job so far. Ask a lot of questions, that's the only way to learn. You will get a lot of good answers here.

Attachments

• 55.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 186
-
Back