Exhaust Stud replacement

-

stumblinhorse

Reaction score
Was going to do headers and noticed I had a broken stud on the back corner stud. So I am going to pull the heads and get it out and probably a valve job when they are off.

I have done a bunch of searching and all I can find it this part from summit
Dorman Double-Ended Studs 675-001

Grade 8, Zinc Plated, 5/16 in.-18, 5/16 in.-24 Threads, 1.500 in. Length. 0.250 in. shoulder length. Stud measures 3/4 in. long on the course threads and 1/2 in. long on the fine threaded end.

Mancini has a whole set for a small block. But my Hedman's come with the appropriate bolts and just wanted 4 new end studs.

Will those work? Or where do I get others that will. Thanks!

Depends on if your heads are aluminum or cast iron

Sorry Stock cast iron heads, When I get them off I will have the casting number. But they are good ol' 69 stock 318 heads.

I just used the appropriate sized allen bolts with thread sealer on the wet holes with the Hookers. Avoided the open end wrench/rounded bolt head issue all together.

Just drill it out, tap with a 3/8 tap and install a bolt. Just did one, super easy when not in the car.

Avoid zinc plated fasteners with cast iron. Better to use plain grade 8 carbon steel or black oxide steel.

Yup, will be getting the heads off the engine and probably simply weld a nut on to remove the stud.

Not sure if anyone had a online place that I can order up the replacement studs in advance.

-
Back