Exhaust Tips....Resonators?

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Hey guys.......

I'm still debating what to do with my "too loud" exhaust........

Flowmasters front to back, with 3" chrome tips.........TOO LOUD......I get asked if it's a big block.........too loud outside, and too loud inside.

I just want to quiet it down a little without having to change the system........Everything is welded..........Does anyone make a decent resonator that will mount on the back and act as a nice looking chrome tip?

A local muffler shop said they could do it, BUT it's a retail shop.......don't want to spend the kids college money on an exhaust tip.......

Any suggestions? :sad1:

No headers.......the previous owner installed the exhaust with the original manifolds........................... :sad:

Just checked the link to Summit.........

I did not know such an insert for an exhaust was even available........

Give me some pro's and con's here..............Pressure problems?

Depending on what clearance you have you could try running some cheap bullet style glasspack mufflers in the straight part of the tailpipe next to the leaf springs. (I could tell you an interesting story about somebody doing this.) JC Whitney sells some in varying lengths & core diameters. You can get one as short as 12" with a 3" core.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/.../Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=glasspack+muffler

Many years ago they listed something called the RACKETBUSTER. It was basically a short glasspack resonator with a fancy chromed tip.

:burnout:

pastortom1 said:
Just checked the link to Summit.........

I did not know such an insert for an exhaust was even available........

Give me some pro's and con's here..............Pressure problems?

Doesn't really apply since you don't have headers, but here goes:

Pros: Will quiet your exhaust down

Cons: If you dont tack weld these inserts in, they will rattle when the collector expands.

Adding a restriction so close to the exhaust ports/in the collector is bad on two counts. The engineers who designed these headers know what they're doing! The collector acts as a means for the negative pressure wave following a positive pressure wave out of any given primary tube to act on the rest of the primarys thereby helping to extract exhaust gases. When you stick something in there that not supposed to be there, you throw this whole tuning theory out the window.

The next problem is that the gases haven't had a chance to cool, and are still super hot and expanding. IMHO I prefer to install mufflers (essentially a restriction) as far away from the collectors as possible because I believe that the muffler (restrictor) will not have to flow as much gas (as measured in CFM) as it would closer to the header collector as a cool gas takes up less volume than a hot gas.

7demon2 and 64cuda are right. In your case, some shorty glass packs would work well and probably sound great too. :thumbup:

The least expensive thing to do is install a cross over between the two sides just behind the torsion bar cross member. Kits are available from Jegs and Summit.

When my Barracuda had the \6 I had dual exhaust installed (6 into 2 headers) with glass paks. Way to loud and the sound quality was not good a WOT. Purchased an H-pipe kit for short change from Summit. It made all the difference in the world in the sound. Cut the volume way down, got rid of most of the interior resonance and smoothed out the WOT noise to the point I was getting compliments on how it sounded.

FWIW, I have 2.5" pipes, 50 series flowmasters and an x-pipe crossover with the 360 that's in there now and it's even quieter with even less interior resonance than with the \6 glass pak combo.

This sounds like a good start.............Probably a good scavenging effect as well, smoothing things out a bit............

Think I will.....Think I will at that....................

I'll post my results (and my wife shall no doubt cast her 2 pennies into the pot for your perousal...............) :thumbup:

if you are going to go the cross over route use the x pipe setup. you will like it better and it scavenages (sp) better. it will quiet it down some as well....

X-pipe or H-pipe won't have a significant impact on power, they are much more effective at quieting things down. You have to be more scientific in the placement of the crossover to see real power gains than just finding a spot that it will fit into the system.

FWIW, The H-pipe will be much much easier to install than the X-pipe.

ramcharger said:
I want to hear it too!

I don't know. It was interesting to me at the time, you might disagree.

Before I start, I want to say that I'm in no way saying I'm well informed about the religous group I'm about to mention. I don't want to offend anybody, & I'll just say what I was told & what I saw.

Where I grew up there was a small town about 25 miles away with a large Mennonite population. In general, these people tend to kep a low profile & live a fairly simple life. The women wear long dresses & small black "skull caps" (? I'm not sure what the proper term is) & the married men wear beards. I had a friend who had converted to that religion to marry a very attractive Mennonite girl who worked at the local Harley Davidson/Honda dealership. I had another friend when I was about 18 who lived in that town, & in our group he had the nickname "Mennonite" just because he came from that town, even though he was not a member of the Mennonite church. (I recently saw him after almost 30 years & a friend of mine said "Don't you recognize him? It's Les, Mennonite!" So I guess the name stuck.) He told me that the followers of this religion were not to have radios or televisions. He said he would find brand new car radios that had been removed from cars and thrown away. (I was told that "it was ok" to have a small portable radio for weather reports, etc.) My friend also told me of a high school age friend of his that had a TV in his room, of which his parents did not approve, & they had to tell him to keep it turned down when they had company so nobody would know he had it in the house. He also said the family would sometimes gather in the boy's room to watch it if there was something really good on. This is all a lot of general background for, as I said before, something you might not find interesting at all.

One weekend I was cruising "The Main Drag" & I noticed a car ahead of me in the lane to my left. It was an early to mid 70's (Fairly new at the time) Dart or Valiant. Plain Jane type of car with stock wheel covers, etc., but something about it caught my eye. As traffic moved I was at times beside it & other times slightly behind the car. Being a Mopar guy I started to see some things about the car that were different. It had air shocks, but set level. It had oversized tires on the stock wheels in back. It had headers. It had dual exhausts with four mufflers, one on each side in the stock location & an additional glasspack in the tailpipe on each side, next to the rear springs. It was obvious that the car had been "hopped up" but with extra effort made to see that it attracted as little attention as possible.

And it was being driven by two (very attractive) high school age Mennonite girls.

Hope this wasn't too much of a let down. :thumbrig:

Hmmm....A Mennonite street sleeper? :) I kind of like it, low-key, quiet, but added horsepower and traction! They say that people build cars like thier personality....OK I'll drop it here before I get into trouble. :tongue9:

Addison's original "Silver Bullet" used four hemi mufflers(think turbo now) on pipes that split right behind the collector, ran through the staggered muffs, and dumped at the muffler exits with tips.

I should probably clarify something. The car was't actually being driven by both girls. :scratch: One was driving, the other was in the passenger seat. Don't want to confuse anybody. :) Also, I couldn't tell whether or not the car had a radio.

-
Back