Exploder 8.8 into A-body swap

-

66dartman

Reaction score
I know I read a post some time back about swapping an 8.8 Explorer rear into an A body and now I can't find it. My buddy and I pulled a good 3.73 trac-lok diff from a 93 exploder this morning with the intention of putting it into his 67 a body. Anybody done this swap?

Check the offset of the pinion on the 8.8 Ford. I was thinking of putting a 57 Ford 9" in my Dart but the pinion is centered on it where the Mopar is offset 1 1/4" from what I've read here on the forum. Might cause some vibration problems.

You might check over at slantsix.org as I believe quite a few people have done similar swaps.

Thanks for the replies. The explorer axle is offset, but I haven't measured it yet. A 3.73, trac-lok complete axle assembly from my local pull & save yard is only $125 and there were at least a dozen of them there. Some had disc brakes, but they were open diffs. It looks like a very do-able swap and I will keep you posted.

Its on here a couple times. pretty easy swap. all you need to do is narrow the the longer axle tube to match the short one then gab another short axle shaft. most shops will do it for about $100. once you have that done get some new perches and weld them on, grab the conversion adapter from a driveline shop, and take the u-bolts and spring plates from the explorer. a little fabricating for the shock mount and you have a perfect width 8.8 for your a-body. the whole thing runs about 300-400 bucks. do some searching for the axle, i found mine at a yard on there half-off days for $50.

-
Back