external oil filter options

-
when you get your Canton Racing remote filter mount mounted, please post some pics. I have the same one and it sure is bulky!! Nice billet piece, but bulky!

It doesnt sit flat on the inner fender of an a-body. I'll have to do some metal work, or make an aluminum mount. :)

Same car different positions, same system 25 years, 4 different engines and never had a problem..

oh well, I'm happy

I had one that went onto the fender and pointed forward like the other one posted that looked like it was a mess to change. I agree that it was just a rag under it. Spin it off, a few drops of oil and you are good. The filters have an anti drainback feature that keeps most of the oil in the filter. It gets a little tricky how you mount the 90's coming out of the adapter as you need 2 sizes as posted, one needs to be taller. I used industrial hydro hoses that were custom from a hose supplier, 2 feet and 4 screw on 1000psi end kits. Remember the longer the run, the longer it takes to get oil to the motor on cranking as it has to fill the entire hose run. If the filters are hanging, they will retain the oil. If they are ideways and the filter does not have an anti drainback valve, you may have 3-4 seconds of no oil pressure as the filter fills. Shorty filters will clear most headers nowadays.

bump. any of yall got any more examples?

Here's my setup. I know it doesn't look as fancy as the ones with braided lines but it's low pressure hyd. hose (rated to 300 psi) and works just fine and was dirt cheap at the local John Deere dealer. I figured one of these days I'll have the extra cabbage to swap the lines to braided stainless for more bling.

As you can see I let the filter overhang the fender a little. When I change oil I punch a hole in the top of the filter with an awl and let it drain back for about 15~20 minutes then slap some duct tape over the hole and wrap a rag around the filter when I unscrew it to catch any residual oil. That way no oil gets on the new paint.

Attachments

• DSC03106.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC03105.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC03109.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 223
The hose is good for 300 psi.
Not sure about barbed fittings and clamps.
There is more than a bling factor with braided........but it is kind of purdy. :D:D

The hose is good for 300 psi.
Not sure about barbed fittings and clamps.
There is more than a bling factor with braided........but it is kind of purdy. :D:D

I checked them out. The fittings were rated to 250. According the mfg. clamps weren't necessary on the push locs, I'm just a worry wart. I used push locs for yrs. on low pressure apps in forklifts and never had a issue with even one. I realize braided is more than bling. I was just meaning I think what I used is plenty sufficient, it just could look better.

Mine's mounted where the heater usually goes, I can't remember the brand
-maybe Mr. Gasket-. The Moroso accumulator blew the end cap off, making a huge mess. It was replaced by a Canton unit.

Attachments

• may26,2012 032_1.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 253
Moroso. Adapter at engine is billet aluminum . Filter mounted this way for not so messy oil change and also dirt stays in the filter. Lines go to bulk heads on the rad support where the oil cooler is attached. Trans cooler is done the same way on the opposite side.

Nice engine compartment... very clean. What are you using for an Air Cleaner? Does it act as a Ram Air with the dual snorkel scoop.

Doug,

I have tried 4 or 5 different housings with different cars - I have not had any bad luck with any but my sample size is obviously small. I think the bigger issue is deciding on what kind of lines you would like to use and the routing - many choices and options depending on your needs and budget. I think the braided steel is worth it because I d not want an iol line to let go - but there are many using other lesser cost alternatives with no issues.

Attached is a picture from my 70 dart - overkill for sure but I had fun.

Kory

I think your setup is wicked sweet. No such thing as overkill if you like the way it looks.

My attempt. Hope to fire it up this weekend. Soooooooo close.
:happy8:
Larry

Attachments

• March 014.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 206
  • March 019.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 234
  • March 036.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 208
  • March 033.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 198
  • March 032.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 205
  • March 020.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 211
The Canton filter. I was worried that it was too small , but everyone I have talked to says it will be fine.

Attachments

• cutting 030.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 161
  • cutting 031.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 163
that's a unique system! you get it fired up yet?
I got about 125mls on it so far and so far so good! Not a drip or drop! :cheers:
Oil pressure @ idle in gear is around 18 psi with 190 coolant temp. @ cruise it is around 45 -48 psi with 175- 180 temp. All @ 88 ambient temp. and approx. 7,500 feet high. I used that cooler for my tranny until I burned it up. It was not large enough for stand alone use. Lesson learned. It works great for an add on oil cooler though. I did not use an oil cooler thermostat. I don't mind letting the engine warm up before I take off.
This is my fix for the tranny cooler.
Larry

Attachments

• June 051.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 185
  • June 001.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 149
-
Back