EZ Wiring Mini 20 Circuit Install/Review

-

goldduster318

Overzealous Car Modifier
Reaction score
I figured I would take this opportunity to do a review of the install of the EZ Wiring Mini-20 harness. I chose this harness because of its low price ($150 on E-ay), and small size.

My first impressions when it arrived were that there were some big bundles of wire, and just a few low quality crimp connectors for you to finish the job. It is set up to use a GM steering column and ignition switch. The directions leave a bit to be desired, but with a little know how and some thinking, the install will go just fine. My original wiring was really messed up, I had a 1.5V drop in my dash harness and it had been melted together in the past.

So, anyway, I made a bracket to mount it under the dash near where the original one was. I used the welder and some 1/8" plate steel.
20120916_193026.jpg

This is what you see when you peer under the dash if you had to work on it. It will be easy to reach.
20120916_193120.jpg

For the bulkhead connector hole, I used some 1/8" plate steel for that as well, and bought a correct grommet for an 1/8" plate from McMaster-Carr. I used the original bulkhead connector clips to hold it in and a self taping screw to hold it vertically.
20120923_180146.jpg

For connectors, I bought a bunch of connectors and connector bodies from TheElectricalDepot.com. I would suggest buying a 25 pack of each type and 50 female of the 14-16 GA type, and a bunch of single and double connector bodies for the 56 series packard connectors (factory type). I also used a bunch of weatherpack connectors.

I bought the connectors to re-pin the steering column at Radio Shack. You'll need 11 if the 0.093" male terminals, and 5 of the 0.125" terminals. They are in the interlocking connector drawer there.

You'll also want to buy the MSD crimping tool and the "Open Barrel Terminal" die, and the weatherpack dies if you plan on using those. You'll also want the packard 56 series removal tool.

Here are the remaining pictures:
20120923_180058.jpg

20120923_180204.jpg

20120923_180105.jpg

20120923_180116.jpg

Overall, I had to make some modifications to the harness for it to work for a Mopar. The main ones were adding the ignition run for the start position (I deleted the ballast resistor), hooking up the headlight switch and key in buzzer, and connecting both of the accessory wires together so it would work with the mopar ignition switch. My car has a GM alternator, so it was easy to hook this up.

The end result is a car that has brighter lights, starts easier, and runs better. I think this was a great upgrade. I have some extra stuff in the car like a wideband O2 sensor so the extra circuits helped a lot for that. I think you could get by with a 12 circuit version if your car is almost stock and you have no intentions of using an electric fuel pump, electric fan, or anything like that in your car.

Dont you just love electrical projects? Im a telephone repair man and it took me the latter part of an evening to sort all my cobbled wiring out and get things straightened out. Lots of upgrading to larger wire guage

Yeah, this took a long time but it wasn't too bad. There's a lot of upgrading that was done here since a lot of the original Mopar wiring is kind of undersized (like the 18ga headlight wiring)

It looks like they use a grommeted feed-thru w/ the relay/fuse box in the cabin. GM 80-90's trucks are like that. I only know because I stripped a few engine harnesses to salvage the knock module wiring.

Several of us took a different approach and put an underhood relay/fuse box from the junkyard (~$15). That keeps the big loads under the hood and the bulkhead connector carries only small actuating signals. You can then have relays for the lights and eliminate the large factory horn and starter relays on the firewall. Either way, it is a lot of planning and work.

So did you rip out all the factory wiring? Or did you tap into the existing with this kit. Did you go front to back all the way to the Light Bulb connectors or?
How long did it take you to install it?

I did rip out all the factory wiring with the exception of the dome light circuit (I took it out of the harness). I put some twin and single pin 56 series connector bodies at the rear light sockets. That way, if I ever pulled the harness out of the car to paint or whatnot, I can just unplug and coil all of them.

I would advise getting rid of all the factory wiring. The less splicing, connectors, and ancient mopar wiring that was too small to begin with in a lot of cases will only help the performance. In order to use the factory dash harness for control, you would have to relay everything, light switches, blower fan, wipers, all running lights, etc, which is a lot more trouble than its worth. I did add the headlight relays (wasn't part of the kit) and the plugs for them too (as you can see in the picture).

It took about 24hrs worth of work to do it from start to finish.

Also, you have to provide your own ground wires. 50' of good quality 14ga black primary wire will take care of your needs.

It sounds like there is plenty of wire so you can even mount the Fuse Panel at the firewall behind the glove box. I have an EFI Harness that I will be mounting where the Blower Motor use to be. I would put this next to it so everything is in 1 location. I will be getting rid of the Factory Dash, gauges etc that will make the install even easier than messing with the stock stuff.

The steering column wires are the thing that limits the placement of the fuse box. You could put it by the bulkhead connector hole and make it, but if you try to do the run the factory way to the tailights you'll come up short. I only had about 5" of extra wire left for the tailights that I cut off. If you ran it down the passenger side and extended the connectors for the steering column, it will work just fine for you otherwise.

very cool man. I installed the 12 circuit mini fuse kit into my 68 cuda. kind of a pain in the ***. ...actually, not kinda, it was. im still not done, i have to finish the interior light section. then ill be done. Had I known, i would next time go with an AMERICAN AUTOWIRE kit. you pay more, but it's a nicer kit, and much much more complete.

I found that this kit had everything I needed but the grounds and the factory style pins (which i didn't expect). It was a good deal for the price. I would use it again.

could you walk me through your ignition wiring? i installed the same kit and can't get it to work, i've talked to the guy but its just so hard to get ahold of him. I wired it how the diagram said and i'm getting no spark. 12+V to both posts on the coil. I had all the components tested and they checked out fine

could you walk me through your ignition wiring? i installed the same kit and can't get it to work, i've talked to the guy but its just so hard to get ahold of him. I wired it how the diagram said and i'm getting no spark. 12+V to both posts on the coil. I had all the components tested and they checked out fine

I did a total rewire after ripping out the burnt up wiring and bulkhead conn. had to call sean at E Z a few times, be patient till you get a hold of him. have all your questions written down so don`t forget something he is one smart dude ! try to write down all of your actions and changes, you`ll be surprised at how soon u forget what u did, and how u did it. especially if your not a mechanic by trade.

I know that's what I am doing too. Ive been on the phone with him all morning, we just can't seem to find what's wrong. How did you delete your resistor?

It looks like they use a grommeted feed-thru w/ the relay/fuse box in the cabin. GM 80-90's trucks are like that. I only know because I stripped a few engine harnesses to salvage the knock module wiring.

Several of us took a different approach and put an underhood relay/fuse box from the junkyard (~$15). That keeps the big loads under the hood and the bulkhead connector carries only small actuating signals. You can then have relays for the lights and eliminate the large factory horn and starter relays on the firewall. Either way, it is a lot of planning and work.

I'd like to use a relay/fuse box under the hood. What vehicle had the better ones?

Thanks,

Riddler

Dont you just love electrical projects? Im a telephone repair man and it took me the latter part of an evening to sort all my cobbled wiring out and get things straightened out. Lots of upgrading to larger wire guage

Where did you get that carb adapter that is holding the fuel regulator???

Jake

-
Back