Fabo, once again I need your help!

-

carls72dart

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install a 904 transmission in my 72 dart. I just converted the steering column over to a floor shift column. What steps do I need to take to mount a cheetah shifter to my floor? Does the carpet have to be pulled up or am I cutting through it? Where should the shifter get mounted on the floor so that it doesn't interfere with the trans housing? Any and all help is always greatly appreciated!:) thanks in advance:)

Absolutely remove the carpet, JMO if it was me. I am sure there is and has been many great tec's that has installed a cheetah shifter and help your self to the search button above that will help, possibly with pictures 8)

when i bought my car the carpet was already butchered. i would have pulled the carpet welded the bolts to the floor and reinstalled the carpet and only allowed the studs to come through..

anyhow i had a bench seat in the car when i installed the shifter and wanted it a little height. in the end it was a perfect height for me even with the buckets..

all i dod was weld 4 1/2-20 bolts to the floor. i could adjust the height with the washers and nuts if need be. it really worked well. shifter always felt really solid and never wiggled or anything..

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

as far as where to mount it goes.. i say put it where its comfortable for you. just make sure it can go all the way up into park and all the way down into 1st gear without hitting anything...

Thanks for the feedback and pictures!! This is my first time installing a floor shifter and transmission!:) as soon as it warms up, I'll tackle the install!! Thanks once again:)

Thank you abodyjoe :coffee2: Great help and a super way to get the job dun :cheers: and very well dun if I say so my self 8)

I do have one more question for abodyjoe. The welding that was done to the bolts, that was only to stiffen up the shifter? I'm just learning to weld and could be my real first welding project:)

Memike, I absolutely agree! Again, thank you both for the feedback! Once I seen abodyjoe's yellow dart, I knew how I'd like to build my dart!:)

-
Back