Factory original (in every respect) Carburetor for '72 Dart Custom

-

72dartnotus

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can source a totally factory original style carburetor for my '72 Dart with slant 6/225ci? I brought one I got from RockAuto that looked identical to me but the mechanic said it's not and had to use an old one he has. He showed me some 1.25" rectangular area in the casting of the new one that's open or filled in whereas mine is the opposite.

I need a real duplicate or a rebuilt original. I am not too sensitive to how much it will cost. I just want and need it quickly to be delivered in the US and then I'll take it to the middle east.

Thanks.

I have seen new Holley 1920's on ebay recently, but not cheap ($180). You would have to research to find the correct PN for 1972. Your mechanic sounds really smart, so be thankful. Be careful of parts stores rebuilds. Many horror stories. I bought 4 1920's over a few decades from stores before I finally got one that worked great. All the others gave a lean, stumbly idle.

I have seen new Holley 1920's on ebay recently, but not cheap ($180). You would have to research to find the correct PN for 1972. Your mechanic sounds really smart, so be thankful. Be careful of parts stores rebuilds. Many horror stories. I bought 4 1920's over a few decades from stores before I finally got one that worked great. All the others gave a lean, stumbly idle.

This one is $250 but says it's remanufactured and they specifically list my year and make (72 Dodge) in the listing title. I'm not excited about the price, but if it'll work then I'll just buy it to be over with it. I can't return the RockAuto one the mechanic rejected so that's money down the drain for a carb that's only good as a paperweight and I don't want that to happen in this case so I need to get it right. When you're really far away from parts stores, in the desert of a foreign land far away from where the car was born you have to just throw some money at the car sometimes with guesswork. What do you think about this one?

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-CARBURETOR-HOLLEY-H1-1920-fits-198-225c-i-L6-180-4687-/390951727607?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ADodge%7CModel%3ADart&hash=item5b0689f1f7&vxp=mtr"]1972 Dodge Plymouth Carburetor Holley H1 1920 Fits 198 225C I L6 180 4687 | eBay[/ame]

This one is $250 but says it's remanufactured and they specifically list my year and make (72 Dodge) in the listing title. I'm not excited about the price, but if it'll work then I'll just buy it to be over with it. I can't return the RockAuto one the mechanic rejected so that's money down the drain for a carb that's only good as a paperweight and I don't want that to happen in this case so I need to get it right. When you're really far away from parts stores, in the desert of a foreign land far away from where the car was born you have to just throw some money at the car sometimes with guesswork. What do you think about this one?

1972 Dodge Plymouth Carburetor Holley H1 1920 Fits 198 225C I L6 180 4687 | eBay

From my experience any Carb you buy that has been re-manufactured ( and by now the vast majority have been ) you will be getting a carb that has been built up from various other carbs to achieve a re-built unit with the least amount of effort/money spent by the re-builder.

You will see mismatched/different year baseplates with airhorns as an example.

I wish you luck but my advice would be to find a car that is un-molested and try to get its carb. It will be like looking for a needle within a haystack though.

Good luck

-
Back