factory rear shoulder belts

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
How many of you have factory rear shoulder belts ? In fact how many even knew they were available? I'm thinking of installing them in my 68 F/B and would love to see a pic of them. I'm concerned that they would bounce and clang around back there when not in use.

I have never seen them... I have these bracket things in the back of mine that look to be factory. No idea what they are. I haven't seen them in another 68 (haven't really looked very hard).

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

Ya, just keep them buckled. I dont know, I've owned numerous '67-'68 fast backs and I've never seen those belts. I have seen those bracket things though.

It's hard to see the detail on those brackets in the pic , but I doubt they are related to the rear shoulder belts. If you look at your sail panel , right in front and a little above of the light bezel there is a small dimple in the panel. That is where the hole would go to bolt the shoulder belt to the C-pillar. Behind that spot is a seat belt boss. If you have a nothback or a Dart then the shoulder belt is mounted through the package tray and secured with a
3-4" "dogbone" shaped bar and a rubber trim bezel that plugs in the package tray for a finishing touch. If you have an original package tray , flip it over and you will see 2 oblong punch outs right at the leading edge of it. I doubt the repro ones have these as very few people know that Chrysel even offered rear shoulder belts as an option muchless have a car equipped with them. I have a set from a '69 Charger R/T .

Those brackets might be a part of some accessory pkg. Maybe tiedowns or cargo net or garment bar that was offered thru the parts dept. ????????

If 65barracudadude says he has seen them before , then I would have to believe that they are a Chrysler part. I'll look for them in my service manual and parts book. ( I may have to break out my microfische machine)

I know that in 70 and 71 A-Bodies they were a factory installed option. In 72 and 73 I think they were dealer-installed only but I could be wrong.

-
Back