factory tach, '68 Barracuda

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought one on ebay, it's the new one with new electronic internals that I hear is much more precise then the originals.

http://www.herbsparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CS162 from Herbs

Same one from Year one

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=A

This reproduction tachometer will mount in the factory location and is made to look factory. It will work with points, electronic or MSD ignition systems. For same tachometer with slanted numbers use part #NP123.

Year one offers 2 different ones the standard one and I don't know what the other one came stock in but it looks cool.
Keep your eyes open I bought mine on the bag for 150 with no shipping. Deals can be had.

67-71ABodyTach-L.jpg

np123.jpg

np124.jpg

I ordered one from Year One in Dec (on back order) NP123.

Do they come with instructions and or wire to the distributor.

Try www.rt-eng.com, but not until they've got Arkansas cleaned up. The site is down due to the weather related power failures (or that's what I've been hearing). Year One is a RETAILER. Most everything they sell can be found elsewhere for less.

The original factory tachs are still out there and occassionally can be bought cheaply............

Try www.rt-eng.com, but not until they've got Arkansas cleaned up. The site is down due to the weather related power failures (or that's what I've been hearing). Year One is a RETAILER. Most everything they sell can be found elsewhere for less.

The original factory tachs are still out there and occassionally can be bought cheaply............

but from what I have heard the factory ones suck.
On the back is two connections one for power and one for (-) coil.

There's nothing wrong with a factory tach that hasn't seen water or an abusive owner. I've got three factory tachs here (one 67 Barracuda, one 68 Barracuda, and one 67 Dart). All work and work well. Are they accurate? Probably, but they are adjustable, too. The connections are 12v and coil. They are grounded through the case. The electronics are also repairable.

I saw a factory tach on ebay tonight. I think it was a 68. I believe it may have been a points only set up.

Nope, they work fine with Pertronix and factory electronic ignition. Some tachs need a separate sending unit for CDI systems (MSD, etc.).

I have a factory tach. Typical of most of the 40 year oldish tachs it has very slow response. I can blip my throttle to 4000 rpm on the aftermarket tach and the factory will just make it over 2000. If I hold it at a given rpm the factory tach will eventually catch up and read correctly.

My wife got me one of the reproduction ones from Year One for X-mass. It was as cheap as any where with one of the Year One 20% off coupons so if you are going that way wait for a discount coupon. Year One stands behind their products and has a great return policy so I would recomend them over E-bag.

I have not installed it yet so I can't comment on the accuracy or response. According to the paper work its made by an outfit called Charger Specialties or something like that, begins with Charger in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back