Family's 66 Dart 270 Resto has started

-

gekicker08

Reaction score
So we finally got our hands on the Dart that has been inhabiting my late uncle's driveway. It was surprising to find out that there is almost no rust on this thing anywhere (we havent stripped it yet so I've knocked on wood and whatever else I had to do), the motor turns over but it needs the carb rebuild and the tank dropped and cleaned, the spark plugs were completely fouled, and the wires were gone. The brakes are literally hanging by a thread and the only way this thing stopped from going through the fence and down the five or so foot drop to the other parking lot was the concrete parking divider. The suspension bounces for at least five seconds after being compressed and the interior just needs a little face lift. First things first, we are going through this thing top to bottom starting christmas break when I get out of nursing school. Where are the problem areas for rust? How the heck do I get the trunk open? And have yall seen a dart sedan that has been "updated" or "customized"? I can't seem to find any for visual inspiration. I like to plan things out way in advance and I'll be keeping everyone updated with how this thing will turn out with a drawing and a laundry list. By the way, thanks for the advice on towing! here is where we came from
34ce1f27.jpg

0-2.jpg

Here's where we are today:

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

Best of luck to you on your new project. Good resources here on FABO, stay in touch.
Regarding rust, water likes to settle, so check the bottom of all panels: Bottom of fenders behind the front wheels, bottoms of the doors, bottom of the quarter panels, and bottom corners of the trunk. Also check around the windshield opening.

We have finally gotten underway with the restoration process. It was just sitting for a while due to the title not being available. But without further ado here are the pictures.

photo3-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

The brake master cylinder was completely rusted out and it took some beating from the impact wrench before finally giving up.

photo5.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

The interior isn't bad. It does have some pan rust but it isn't a big deal. We are looking for a driver's side rear and front pan though.

photo1-2.jpg

motor looks pretty solid other than the cooling system, carb and fuel lines.

photo2-1.jpg

Brakes look good in front. We had to leave the front driver's side tire on since we couldn't get the nuts off! Two of the bolts broke and the other two just spin in the drum so the wheel and drum are a mated pair haha

photo1-1.jpg

Most of the front is off and we are taking the quarters off pretty soon to get them blasted and cleaned up.

Welcome to FABO. Looks like a clean 66 sedan you have there. The color is a bit unusual. It is a ZZ1 code which is "Gold Poly Metallic". You may be having troubles getting the drivers side wheels off because the early Mopars had left hand threaded wheel studs and lug nuts. They loosen by turning them clockwise. Have fun with your resto and keep us posted with your progress. toolmanmike

Welcome to FABO. Looks like a clean 66 sedan you have there. The color is a bit unusual. It is a ZZ1 code which is "Gold Poly Metallic". You may be having troubles getting the drivers side wheels off because the early Mopars had left hand threaded wheel studs and lug nuts. They loosen by turning them clockwise. Have fun with your resto and keep us posted with your progress. toolmanmike

x2 and the brake drum doesn't come off of the wheel hub normally the studs hold it together

Ah, well that would make sense as to why they wouldn't turn! but the part of the drum with the wheel studs on it can be removed with the tire still attached. Just take the dust cover off of the center of the hub, remove the cotter pin, remove that locking cover, then the nut, then the wheel bearing and pull on the tire a little bit and the entire assembly just slides right off.

My dad has the car at his house in Fl so he gets his hands dirty much more often than i do. He removed the brake master cylinder and found that there were more roach droppings and rust than actual brake fluid so that will need to be replaced. There was also a big splice job done on the brake pedal connection so that will need to be replaced as well. Anyways, give us some feedback if you can. This is our first REAL restoration so insight and commentary is always nice.

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

My dad is quite handy with the rust-a-way and a cleaning brush as well.
IMG_3894.jpg

We are going for a showroom-ish restoration since this car really isn't meant to "tear up the streets" and we want to use this as our trial and error restoration.

Hi there and welcome to FABO, the best website for A-body lovers in the world.

Nice car you have. I love that your doing the work on a four door sedan and the color is great looking. The car seems pretty well optioned for a four door. A/C, V8, aut and power brakes isn't so often seen on four doors. It seems to be a great project to start with.

Enjoy it and keep the pictures coming.

Sorry for the long delay but we got the front end stripped down to the bare-ish bones. We have the motor all ready to get pulled out, Dad and I are gonna strip it and rebuild it ourselves when we get the engine stand in. We haven't decided what color to go with but we are making a lot of headway in getting it ready for paint. We have stripped all of the chrome pieces off and I've decided to leave the long stripping down the body off of the car other than the "Dart 270" piece, to make it look a little unique i'm using the front tapered strip and adding it on to the back piece. It should look pretty cool, I'm gonna try and get it together and take a picture so ya'll can see. But anyways, here are the pictures...
photo1-3_zps794b897f.jpg

photo2-3_zpsed5b13df.jpg

photo3-3_zps484ebe33.jpg

photo4-1_zps698ac64b.jpg

photo5-1_zpsad8b8660.jpg

Any suggestions on the paint are appreciated. We are in between a goldish-tan along the major part of the body and a maroon color for the body line that wraps around the car. Either that or a full deep forrest green or a royal/navy blue color. Should look good with some painted rims and chrome dish insterts.

Hi there and welcome to FABO, the best website for A-body lovers in the world.

Nice car you have. I love that your doing the work on a four door sedan and the color is great looking. The car seems pretty well optioned for a four door. A/C, V8, aut and power brakes isn't so often seen on four doors. It seems to be a great project to start with.

Enjoy it and keep the pictures coming.

Took the words right out of my mouth

-
Back