fan and shroud questions

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
67 Dart, 273 2barrel, auto, 22 inch rad. thinking of doing some cooling mods, been looking around for clutch fans and oriellys or advance lists a thermal fan clutch and a non-thermal. which do I want? Is there a source for the 17" fans for the fan clutch, I have a fan left over from the race car, nice 5 or 6 blade(not a flex fan)will check diameter. will I notice any difference in power with the clutch fan versus the solid fan?
I think I am going to make my own shroud and am just wondering how much clearance I should give around the fan.
the car doesn't overheat (usually runs about 1/2 to 3/4 on the stock temp gauge)but does go to the notch just below "H" in slow cruising/parade type situations.

Thanks
Aaron
it is a 17", 6 blade non clutch fan

First off, this is just my opinion. I don't think you will see any power difference between a clutch fan and regular fan. You might see the difference in small horsepower gains and tenths of seconds faster if you were racing the car but only then.

You might also look at Summit for a fan and clutch combo if that is what you desire.

I don't know what your abilities are but one of these days I'm gonna try this for a shroud.

http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54pontiac/FanShroud.html

Dennis

If you don't have a/c your not supposed to need a shroud or a better fan.
If you have the OEM radiator you can assume it has barnacles inside restricting the flow. Same would apply to inside the block. Clutch fans aren't normally as noisy as fixed fans.
The OEM shroud didn't have nearly enough clearance. When the left ( rubber biscuit ) motor support broke the shroud was scattered.
It really wasn't much anyway. 22 X 19 radiator is pretty much covered by the fans diameter. Only when the radiators went to 26 inches wide did a shroud improve the coverage.

Cool thanks for the link, haven't worked with fiberglass, but there is always a first time for everything. Right now I am thinking of cutting down an old box fan to make a shroud out of. The motor is completely rebuilt, and the shop boiled the block so I assume that would have got rid of all the crud, the rad was boiled. I am also thinking of added a limiter to the left hand motor mount also. Think I may just use the 6 blade solid fan I have in the garage, since I have it. No drag racing unless it is a fun run or time trials type thing.
thanks
Aaron

I went through the same ordeal with my our first 67 A-body. It would run hot enough to ping under load and if I got stuck in slow-mo traffic like leaving a concert, etc.., it would slowly but surely run too hot. After everything else I tried made little or no difference, a new radiator cured it. Not to insist that everyone's scenario is identical to mine. Good luck with it.

If you want a clutch fan look in the mopar restoration catalog for the part number and call your dealer , you will be surprised how cheap the right one is and you get the whole kit with all the fasteners not some third party might work with deal .

-
Back