Fan / shroud fitment issue

-

bighammer

Reaction score
Currently I'm working on getting my aluminum radiator mocked up (the engine is currently out) for install later. I may have run into another issue. My current fan is 17 3/4" diameter, but the shroud opening is only 17 1/2".

I'm not sure whether to locate a different fan or? I don't want to go with electric fan(s) Would it be practical to trim the fan blades a bit so that they clear the shroud? Or do I need to buy a different / smaller fan?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 213
Currently I'm working on getting my aluminum radiator mocked up (the engine is currently out) for install later. I may have run into another issue. My current fan is 17 3/4" diameter, but the shroud opening is only 17 1/2".

I'm not sure whether to locate a different fan or? I don't want to go with electric fan(s) Would it be practical to trim the fan blades a bit so that they clear the shroud? Or do I need to buy a different / smaller fan?

I`ve added material to fans to make them bigger, (dangerous) but you have to watch the balance on them. cutting one down wouldn`t be as bad, just try to be exact w/ the blades. also there are stock chrysler 7 blade -17" mechanical fans, I `ve got on on my fish---------bob

Would it be practical to trim the fan blades a bit so that they clear the shroud?

As Bob said, balance. That was my first thought too. An imbalance could cause premature water pump failure I would think.

You could make some type of template for the piece to be remove for a blade, then use the template on each blade in the exact same place. Draw a line with a permanent marker, then cut close to the line. Finish by grinding to the size according to your marked lines. The water pump is not dynamically balanced, so a gram or two difference wont hurt anything.

-
Back