fast ratio pitman arm

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
hey guys. has anyone ran a fast ratio pitman arm from firm feel. i need to replace mine and thought it would be nice to improve the steering in my car at the same time. i know they mention header clearance on their site, which is the only thing that concerns me.
thanks

I have hedman headers on my 68 Barracuda and there is definately not enough room for a pitman arm that is an inch longer.

Also, if you car has manual steering I can't imagine dealing with a faster ratio than the 24:1. It was enough to prompt me to switch my car over to power and I sure do like the 16:1 ratio going down the road and the ease of manuvering in parking lots the power affords.

16:1 is considered the fast ratio, 24:1 is considered the slow ratio.

I have the 16:1 manual box, I love it. Yes, it's a little stiff manuevering to park but going down the road the car has a great feel and is stiff and holds the road. I can turn a corner with one hand (Starbucks in the other) no problem. I wouldn't want anything else.

Maybe my size and height make a difference? I'm 6' 1" and weigh about 195 lbs, not a huge guy but big enough. Someone shorter might find it too much, like my wife who's 5' 2" can't drive the Barracuda at all, but that's a good thing!

my car has power steering. i just want to eventually autox it so i am trying to think ahead with everything i purchase. thanks for the replies

You don't want to change the pitman arm length without changing the idler arm to match. I know Firm feel says it is no big thing to do this but remember they are the ones trying to sell it so they will say just about anything to sell it. If it was OK to run un-equal length pitman/idler arms the factory would have done it. If you want quicker steering do it the right way and purchase a new steering box.

Chuck

If it was OK to run un-equal length pitman/idler arms the factory would have done it. If you want quicker steering do it the right way and purchase a new steering box.

The factory did do it. The AAR Cudas and T/A Challengers had just the fast ratio pitman arm. AND, evven though they did it the geometery is less than ideal.

I never heard that one, that has to be the stupidest thing that Mopar ever did. I hope that it was only done on the street cars because it would have messed everything up as far as setting up a car for racing.

Chuck

is there anyone that builds a fast ratio power steering unit or do i just need to order a different gear from steer and gear. is the firm feel box fast ratio or just stiffer.

is there anyone that builds a fast ratio power steering unit or do i just need to order a different gear from steer and gear. is the firm feel box fast ratio or just stiffer.

There is no such thing as a faster ratio power steering box. The T/A fast ratio steering box is the same ratio as the one on your car now. It just has the internal stops changed so that some idiot won't jam the steering wheel cranked to one side, move the car, and chew up the tires.

Just don't do that.

The fast ratio is acheived by just adding the longer arm and corresponding C-body idler. That makes a 12.7 overall ratio. In comparison most new sports cars are around 14:1. The faster overall ratio is nice on an autox course since it's tight and you make extremely quick turns.

I don't have a quick ratio arm. There's a lot of A-body Autox guys that don't use them. They would like to, but they are avoiding the hassle and they are concentrating on other parts of the suspension. And the biggest reason is they are not header friendly in an A-body. Not really stock exhaust manifold friendly either. It would hit exhaust pipe I have with 340 cast manifolds. I know someone that has got the long arm to work with 340 manifolds but they were really tricky and IIRC, had some generous clearance dings/pinches.

How much room do you have now between the end of the pitman an the exhaust pipe? If you have to modify your exhaust pipe the price of this swap just went up $50-80.

The longer pitman will increase the leverage acting on the steering wheel and make the steering effort increase somewhat. So will a smaller diameter Grant steering wheel.

Your car doen't "feel tight" for numerous reasons. Tires, worn steering box, alignment, springs, and shocks are a few reasons.

-
Back