Fastest street car??

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Found this on Facebook.......the guy here with the Duster had best be quick....

"Jeff Lutz and his Pat Musi-powered Stainless Works Equipped ’57 Chevy entered the record books last night after running 6.909 @ 215 MPH, in an early evening test hit, to become the quickest and fastest street car on the planet. Granted there are plenty of definitions of “street car” but considering Lutz drove the car on a 30-mile cruise yesterday and also logged 1500 miles during Drag Week. He t
hen cruised around Baytown last night along with cohorts and fellow Hot Rod Drag Week competitors Larry Larson and Joe Barry, among others, it’s hard to argue the point.

“To be honest, I really didn’t know the pass was that fast,” Lutz said. “The mile-per-hour was incredible – I mean 215 is hauling,” Lutz said.

To Jeff and his family it is an honor for us to be the Offical Header and Header component supplier for Lutz Race Cars. Thanks for all you do for the sport."

Larry Larson's Nova, WAS the fastest till now.

Goal #1, to have the first reliable street car and Drag Week competitor to run a 6-second quarter mile pass. He did that three times in three days in Vegas, running 6.99, 6.96, and ultimately 6.93 at 211 mph. Goal #2, cruise the Nova on Las Vegas Blvd on Saturday night right after running a 6-second pass.

http://bangshift.com/blog/video-and...-drag-week-nova-cruising-the-vegas-strip.html

those are track cars!These are sum of the worlds fast street cars!

p670334999-4.jpg

streetpics012.jpg

DSC03320c2sized.jpg

docvs355monte.jpg

14816607.jpg

tazandmike7-19-08.jpg

vettemanandmichaels71.jpg

54740262.jpg

k16id5-1.jpg

DSC03368.jpg

p1016970994-5.jpg

saturdaynightfulloffun098.jpg

Thanks,Bigdummy! This fits my idea of fast street car,to a tee.

Most of them look to be 10 sec. cars maybe a 9 but i doubt it. I don't see how posting a picture of a car doing a wheelie on the street makes it a street car though haha. Alot of guys trailer their race cars to a street racing spot.

any of those pictured cars in the 6's?

Most of the stuff 1320video covers is from 10's thru the 8's a 7 second car is a big deal on their videos.

But call me crazy, but I don't think those cars pictured are street cars, they're grudge cars, and I don't think those 6 second drag week cars are street cars either, they're race cars someone threw extra money at to retain the headlights.

But this isn't the time or place to discuss what makes a street car. edit: well, nevermind that, I guess it is..

"Street car." I always have to take that with a ton sized grain of salt.

If you want to know if your "street" car is actually legal, drive up to some state cop and tell him "I think you're an asshole" and let the inspection begin.

And on later cars, you MUST have all federal and state smog equipment, even though there's nobody to enforce that, unless you are in an area of some states which DO enforce and inspect for emissions.

And slicks on the street, or so called "DOT" that "ain't" makes it a street car NOT

But I'm willing to pass on the smog gear, but it's got to be "streetable" IE you have to be able to idle in traffic, have ALL required safety equipment including all windows, signals, lights, horn, wipers, etc, be able to negotiate a "normal" highway with actual corners n' stuff

Seems to me some of this stuff is REALLY pushing the limits, if not more than the tires alone.

There is a guy who lives near me with a 03 mustang that runs 8's and during the summer i used to see it about once a week and I don't know if I would call that a street car.

The beauty of a 1957 car is it needs NO smog equipment, no seat belts either-no child seats as well..all seatbelt laws are for 1964 cars and newer.

I kick myself for not getting a very old car way back when--and taking care of it. Be nothing like pulling to US customs at the border in a hot 57 car...coming back from the Moparfest officer, as the engine loops impatiently, lol

Yeah maybe they are still pretty cool with the newer 70's cars BUT you know for sure with the 57 you are 100% legal and again you have the option of wearing safety belts

let them drive from Baker, ca to las vegas nv in August...up and over baker grade...

"Street car." I always have to take that with a ton sized grain of salt.

If you want to know if your "street" car is actually legal, drive up to some state cop and tell him "I think you're an asshole" and let the inspection begin.

And on later cars, you MUST have all federal and state smog equipment, even though there's nobody to enforce that, unless you are in an area of some states which DO enforce and inspect for emissions.

And slicks on the street, or so called "DOT" that "ain't" makes it a street car NOT

But I'm willing to pass on the smog gear, but it's got to be "streetable" IE you have to be able to idle in traffic, have ALL required safety equipment including all windows, signals, lights, horn, wipers, etc, be able to negotiate a "normal" highway with actual corners n' stuff

Seems to me some of this stuff is REALLY pushing the limits, if not more than the tires alone.

Yup, I say in order to be a street car it must have:

• Tags,
  • Title,
  • insurance,
  • actual street tires, (no slicks, no drag radials, something you'd actually drive in the rain.)
  • Pump gas or e85 (none of this Drive on 87, race on C16 crap)
  • Stock chassis, No clip cars, no backhalfed cars
  • full factory glass
  • Lights, mirrors, All of the interior, carpet, headliner, all the seats, etc.
  • Heat, a/c (optional but preferred) Radio, courtesy lights,
  • None of these jungle gym rollcages,
  • No enormous tubs
  • You shouldn't need tools to race it.
  • It should start happily when it's cold, and idle happily when it's hot.

And finally, it's not a requirement in my book, but a street car really oughtta race in the exact same state of tune it's driven to the track in. I'd love to see at drag week or something similar, them put tape across the car's hood gaps, and on the links of the suspension on the cars, and if the tape gets broken, they're DQ'd You'd see a lot fewer quick cars if they're not allowed to mess with them between races and between passes.

Y'know, really, getting to think about it, that's really what makes a race car, isn't it? The constant adjusting to get every last hundredth of a thousandth of a second. Tweaking with every trick known to an experienced racer with umpteen years experience. As opposed to a street car where all the tinkering goes on in the garage, then the tools get put away, and the car gets driven.

let them drive from Baker, ca to las vegas nv in August...up and over baker grade...

Ha, heard that. We overheated in a stock 89 Thunderbird, PO took the fan shroud out and that V6 was about 2 feet from the radiator. That is a great drive in August..at about 3 in the morning...still 105 degrees.

I remember having to turn on the heater to keep the car from overheating...just came over it little over a week ago..towing a trailer with a duster on it...

There is a guy who lives near me with a 03 mustang that runs 8's and during the summer i used to see it about once a week and I don't know if I would call that a street car.
a guy in town has a 7 second Nova (why is it always those things?) and he can drive it on the street. In fact, I've seen him driving it around a couple times, and in full tune with big slicks it doesn't really look (or sound) 'street' to me either...

The beauty of a 1957 car is it needs NO smog equipment, no seat belts either-no child seats as well..all seatbelt laws are for 1964 cars and newer.

I kick myself for not getting a very old car way back when--and taking care of it. Be nothing like pulling to US customs at the border in a hot 57 car...coming back from the Moparfest officer, as the engine loops impatiently, lol

Yeah maybe they are still pretty cool with the newer 70's cars BUT you know for sure with the 57 you are 100% legal and again you have the option of wearing safety belts
wrong ! I thought the same thing I got told really fast by OHP ''if your going to take the kid you need belts! your fine but the kid has to have a belt '' It dont matter the year kids have to be straped in the car . Btw i didnt try to run with out any belts i put one and only one in the 64 for the kid but i did ask OHP and its 65 and up 64 is under the limit for seat belt laws

Yup, I say in order to be a street car it must have:

• Tags,
  • Title,
  • insurance,
  • actual street tires, (no slicks, no drag radials, something you'd actually drive in the rain.)
  • Pump gas or e85 (none of this Drive on 87, race on C16 crap)
  • Stock chassis, No clip cars, no backhalfed cars
  • full factory glass
  • Lights, mirrors, All of the interior, carpet, headliner, all the seats, etc.
  • Heat, a/c (optional but preferred) Radio, courtesy lights,
  • None of these jungle gym rollcages,
  • No enormous tubs
  • You shouldn't need tools to race it.
  • It should start happily when it's cold, and idle happily when it's hot.
And finally, it's not a requirement in my book, but a street car really oughtta race in the exact same state of tune it's driven to the track in. I'd love to see at drag week or something similar, them put tape across the car's hood gaps, and on the links of the suspension on the cars, and if the tape gets broken, they're DQ'd You'd see a lot fewer quick cars if they're not allowed to mess with them between races and between passes.

Y'know, really, getting to think about it, that's really what makes a race car, isn't it? The constant adjusting to get every last hundredth of a thousandth of a second. Tweaking with every trick known to an experienced racer with umpteen years experience. As opposed to a street car where all the tinkering goes on in the garage, then the tools get put away, and the car gets driven.
x2

-
Back