Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Same here, be interested in seeing what you come up with for brackets. I posted a thread awhile ago, but didn't get much feed back.

I will post a link of how someone used a 72 bumper on a 74. Just angle iron.

Does your bumper have the shock mounts?

It's yours Keith, not sure if I still have the clips.
I found another FABO guy who had a defroster hose.

Last job of the weekend was to get a couple coats of paint on the bumper bolts.

View attachment 1714860927

I'm now concocting ideas to suspend the rear bumper in place with wood from the license plate holder so I can crawl under and cut up some angle to fab up some brackets off the frame mounts for the old bumper absorbers....

Thanx! Mine has a few holes/areas of heavy rust. Are you using the original bumper and mounting close? I think it is wider than the older ones and leaves a small side gap since the plastic filler continued around there. Can you just use a set of older mounts (or make similar) I know Ive seen a few threads on this, but never paid much attention since I plan to keep mine stock.

I know the rear will be a little wide on the sides but I can live with it. Especially now that I changed my mind when a friend suggested I paint the bumpers the body color.

I know the rear will be a little wide on the sides but I can live with it. Especially now that I changed my mind when a friend suggested I paint the bumpers the body color.

Hmmm... Very true. Gap should not be too noticable with same color..

I was worried about getting good measurements to make the rear bumper brackets. But it came to me I can use the old inner bumper to get most of the measurements I need, then I just need to place the bumper on the buckets again to get the exact projection distance I need and I'm done. I'm thinking a piece of 3x5 angle with a 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 welded under it to catch the top holes and another cut to length with a return on it to catch the bottom bolt.

Attachments

• bumper brackets.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 341
I love this build thread. Read the whole thing over a couple of days. I'm building a car for my 6 yr old son and 9 yr old daughter. Hope to teach them some things about pulling wrenches. Yours is a great inspiration. Hopefully I can document our build as well.

Thank you for the kind words. My kids really love the car. My big guy drifts off to do his own thing here and there, but he always comes back more into it than before....

Come on Daddy you need a new pad. After you spend all that time and money on those products, you are half way to a new pad.

The patches looked like patches at the end of the day. I dropped it off at an old school upholstery shop yesterday....

Not great graphics editing, but I'd like to have a 71 tail panel stripe stretched and filled in so it will work with my 74 tail light bezels.
Maybe even make the top stripe equal width to the bottom, and make the red space where the Dust Cloud goes a little wider.
Still LOVING the painted tucked in 74 Bumpers!! :D

Attachments

• mod strip.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 251
  • stripes on car.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 266
-
Back