Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
This would be a great time to cut your existing bumpers and brackets down to have them fit closer to the body.
Then I highly suggest having Tri City do the plating.
He already has done just that. The bumper sucking in thing not chrome

Well my chrome bumpers are on the from TriCity Plating. I’m not sure if I’ll be happy with the upgrade. The car has had painted bumpers since I resto-modded it but we will see.

Next projects I’d like to do are finding some wheels with 3.5 backspace so I can get a 275 on the back without relocating the springs and finding a more subtle muffler for my exhaust. She is a bit obnoxious for a cruiser

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0579.jpeg

Still looks good- I learned that lesson (loud mufflers) a while back. Let us know how you like the Chrome Bunmpers.

Well my chrome bumpers are on the from TriCity Plating. I’m not sure if I’ll be happy with the upgrade. The car has had painted bumpers since I resto-modded it but we will see.

Next projects I’d like to do are finding some wheels with 3.5 backspace so I can get a 275 on the back without relocating the springs and finding a more subtle muffler for my exhaust. She is a bit obnoxious for a cruiser

View attachment 1716134018

View attachment 1716134019
You mentioned 3.5" back space. If everything back there is Stock you may want to remeasure. It'll likely turn out more like 4.5" back space on a 15x8 if you want 275 60 15 tires. Love the car!

Cley

You mentioned 3.5" back space. If everything back there is Stock you may want to remeasure. It'll likely turn out more like 4.5" back space on a 15x8 if you want 275 60 15 tires. Love the car!

Cley
The wheels I have now are 4.25 backspace and if I put a 275 on those wheels, the tire hits the leaf spring. So my thinking is if the back space is reduced by 1 inch the wheels will move further away from the center of the car and push the tire out from the center and give me clearance on the leaf spring. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Make some spacers, and put behind the rims, to check clearance.
A 275 will work on a 7" rim.

Make some spacers, and put behind the rims, to check clearance.
A 275 will work on a 7" rim.
I’m going to avoid spacers. Im
Thinking with the chrome bumpers I’ll get some cragar super sports. They come in all sorts of different backspaces

There is no way I would drive with spacers.
I would just use the spacers to double check your measurements. Make them out of wood or something.
You just need them to verify clearance.

Yeah, I 100% agree with you on that. The 8-1/4 I had in my car previously was a fair bit wider. Mine must not have been an A body diff or something.

Cley

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but if you could get ahold of a Percy's Wheelrite tool....you could determine exactly what wheel will fit. I tried to find one for sale to post a link, but it appears that they are sold out everywhere. Prices looked to be $25-$30 in the most recent ads that came up.

Glad you got your bumpers from Tri City. I think the car is going to look awesome with shiny wheels and bumpers!

:thumbsup:

DD - I have used Flowmaster Delta Flow Mufflers a couple times and love them. On my 74, 8 inch wide wheel with 4 inch backspace and BFG 245-60-15 fit perfect and fill out the wheel wells. Usually on the you can go with a 255-60-15 with 4 1/4 and be ok. Measure to be sure because your rear looks a little different

DD - I have used Flowmaster Delta Flow Mufflers a couple times and love them. On my 74, 8 inch wide wheel with 4 inch backspace and BFG 245-60-15 fit perfect and fill out the wheel wells. Usually on the you can go with a 255-60-15 with 4 1/4 and be ok. Measure to be sure because your rear looks a little different
TF I have Flowmaster Delta flows on her now and I’m getting tired of the racket. Looking for something more subdued. And I need to get some 275s on the back of the car. Looking from the back the car needs some more meat.

IMG_9262.jpeg

Wow, my Delta Flows sound really great. I also had a pair of Flowmaster regular 40 Series and they droned a lot, but the Delta Flow 40 series sound great on mine. I'm sure you've seen the Flowmaster Chart with all the sound levels for their mufflers

I had no idea there was a chart!
I spoke to a rep at borla, first thing he said was I should have an H or X pipe!!
To which is say, How bout “No”

-
Back