Federal Steering Pump Pulley Depth

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
64 Valiant slant 6. I have rebuilt a power steering pump for Vixen, but I do not know how far to press the pulley back on the pump. The service manual says to press it on until the shaft is flush with the outside of the bore on the pulley, but that is impossible with this pulley configuration. I would have to literally push the pulley thgouth the seal and into the pump housing. The book also shows another picture with the pulley installed and it is clear that the pulley is NOT flush with the end of the shaft. I have another Federal pump that I have yet to disassemble. I plan to rebuild that one, too. I took a measurement with a machinist's rule from the outside of the pulley bore to the end of the shaft and got 11/16". Does this sound right?

For photographic reference.

This is the old pump that I have yet to rebuild. You can see the depth of the shaft in the pulley bore. This is what I measured at 11/16".
OLD PUMP2.JPG

Here is the back of the pulley between the pulley and pump. There is a very slight fore and aft movement in the shaft. I have the pulley pulled forward in this picture. There might be 1/16" movement. I consider that normal. But you can plainly see that the pulley cannot press on another 11/16", which would make it flush in the front. Ain't happenin. Both pumps are the same, except now one is rebuilt and one has yet to be.

OLD PUMP1.JPG

My rebuilt pump, for what that's worth.

REMAN PUMP.JPG

My cleaned and painted pulley, for what that's worth.

REMAN PULLEY.JPG

For photographic reference.

This is the old pump that I have yet to rebuild. You can see the depth of the shaft in the pulley bore. This is what I measured at 11/16".
View attachment 1716206513

Here is the back of the pulley between the pulley and pump. There is a very slight fore and aft movement in the shaft. I have the pulley pulled forward in this picture. There might be 1/16" movement. I consider that normal. But you can plainly see that the pulley cannot press on another 11/16", which would make it flush in the front. Ain't happenin. Both pumps are the same, except now one is rebuilt and one has yet to be.

View attachment 1716206514

My rebuilt pump, for what that's worth.

View attachment 1716206515

My cleaned and painted pulley, for what that's worth.

View attachment 1716206516

Can you wait until you have other pulleys on and see where you want the PS pulley?

I don't recall my V8 Federal pulley having the protrusion. Perhaps that's a slant thing. Maybe mock up the crank pulley and do the math?

I don't recall my V8 Federal pulley having the protrusion. Perhaps that's a slant thing. Maybe mock up the crank pulley and do the math?
That's the plan when the balancer gets here. But yeah, it is a slant thing, because the P/S pulley is on the front of the balancer.

-
Back