Fender tag decode

-

mbrooks573

Reaction score
Hey, guys. Was curious if anyone could help decode fender tag for my new 66 formula S. The body color code doesn't match up with the codes on a few random websites I've checked. Also, any way to tell what kind of gears the car has? Thanks.

Attachments

• 232325.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 437.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 253
Great looking 66 Formula S.
I'm not a fender tag expert but there are a few sites that can help.
I don't think the gear ratio is on the fender tag but there might be a small metal tab with the ratio on the rear axle.

I'm trying to research these cars myself. There doesn't seem to be any one decoder out there, but I'll take a stab at it:
Top Row:
b 4 = Bucket Seats
Middle Row:
AB 32 = 273cid 4bbl
C 5 = auto trans
D 9 = Front Disk brakes
E 1 = Air Cleaner Package
F 7 = Formula S
H 1 = ?
R 1 = AM Radio
T 7 = Tachometer
Z 8 = Buffed exterior
Bottom Row:
SO NUMBER = November 19 build date
BDY BP29 = Barracuda
TRM P4X = Black Interior
Paint = Silver, black stripe, black upper inner door paint

Looks like a good stab samplingman, looks like you've helped him out.

And gees, that's a very sweet looking B'cuda - he's a lucky bloke

I agree, very sweet indeed, nice catch mbrooks573! There's got to be a '65 Formula S out there with my name on it...gotta keep looking...

Thanks, guys! Unfortunately discovered I need a bottom end rebuild after pulling the tranny to replace some seals. Wrist pin on # 7 was wearing an awful grove in the wall and bearings looked pretty bad. I know I should probably put in a 318 but it's all original.

Thanks, guys! Unfortunately discovered I need a bottom end rebuild after pulling the tranny to replace some seals. Wrist pin on # 7 was wearing an awful grove in the wall and bearings looked pretty bad. I know I should probably put in a 318 but it's all original.

You'll be much better off having that Commando rebuilt.

Nice cuda! i wouldnt even think about a 318 man o/h the 273 commando! just do yer homework to get the correct pistons for the 10.5:1 comp raito...Big diffrance in torque.

-
Back