fiberglass bumpers

-
I plan on running them, partly because they are cheaper than buying rechromed bumpers that may or may not start flaking in a couple of years. I will just have to be careful on the street and not park too close to poles and such. They can be painted with that new chrome paint process so they look pretty close to stock unless you get on your knees to inspect them. Weight savings is significant, but there is the trade off of less protection in an accident. I think AAR was selling them recently on Ebay for around $175 if I remember correctly. Sorry, I don't have any examples, but the search engine is your friend. I bet if you took a minute you could find all sorts of threads on fiberglass bumpers.

I run them on the street and strip. Have not had any issues with them. They are alot lighter then chrome bumpers. Mine are from AAR

do you guys use the factory bumper brackts...otr make new ones out of aluminum?

They also have fiberglass brackets for some models. Or you could just make them from aluminum too. Brackets on the front of my Demon were 12 lb so there is some more weight to remove there.

Not very protective in an "incident", but they are much more pliable if your car has been in a previous engagement and things just don't quite line up the way they should. Painting them doesn't hurt either...

Attachments

• RRLFloweredSMAweb.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 244
Thinking of putting one on the front of the fish. Would like a set of alum brackets.

what ever the hell happened to that dude who was making aluminum bumper brackets for our cars who were runnin fiberglass bumpers?

If you look closely, I'm only using one of the two OE brackets on each side. I figured if I'm going to get into an "issue" with a glass bumper, having an extra bracket isn't going to help much. Besides it's just more weight :toothy10:

If you look closely, I'm only using one of the two OE brackets on each side. I figured if I'm going to get into an "issue" with a glass bumper, having an extra bracket isn't going to help much. Besides it's just more weight :toothy10:

I run just the inners too but with a little extra work to them. Got a set of fiberglass inners I am going to use. Both put together are lighter than even just one of my cut down mounts.

Attachments

• 000_0014.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 175
what ever the hell happened to that dude who was making aluminum bumper brackets for our cars who were runnin fiberglass bumpers?

If I remember correctly, the price was a lot more than most are willing to pay- something like a couple hundred bucks to save around 15 lbs. You can use a hole saw and cut several holes in the stock brackets to save a few pounds to get them almost as light as aluminum would be. I also removed the outer brackets.

If I remember correctly, the price was a lot more than most are willing to pay- something like a couple hundred bucks to save around 15 lbs. You can use a hole saw and cut several holes in the stock brackets to save a few pounds to get them almost as light as aluminum would be. I also removed the outer brackets.

Less than that. The stock brackets on my 70 Dart were only around 13 lb for all 4 of them.

I guess I need to get back in the gym. It felt like just the 2 outers were about 10 pounds, but I never put them on a scale to see. Even more reason not to spend the money on the aluminum ones. I've thought of getting the fiberglass ones when I get a fiberglass bumper, but I'll probably just lighten the stock ones like you did (I think yours are the ones I was thinking I had seen pics of before).

I guess I need to get back in the gym. It felt like just the 2 outers were about 10 pounds, but I never put them on a scale to see. Even more reason not to spend the money on the aluminum ones. I've thought of getting the fiberglass ones when I get a fiberglass bumper, but I'll probably just lighten the stock ones like you did (I think yours are the ones I was thinking I had seen pics of before).

Been working well so far and I have been running a stock bumper that is around 15 lb.

I used a plasm cutter on them but a hole saw should work just fine too. I also cut the sides down some. You can see in that pic where I left a step for where the fender brace goes so I can still use it then whacked a good part of the lip off on both sides.

Both were round 6Lb now they are around 4Lb.

A set of glass ones are going to be around 1Lb for both. With a 3 LB glass bumper that 4 or so VS the 30LB stock set up.

-
Back