Fiberglass Hood

-

abodybill

Reaction score
Looking to replace the steel hood on the Dart and Demon both 71's.

Like to get afew places to see what they have to offer before I spend the money.

Like to know the good and bad such as quality,fit and work needed to get ready to paint.

Should say I'm leaning to the Pin on type.

Thanks,

You can't go wrong with AAR,i've got one of their 6-pack hoods on my '70 duster fit and finish is second to none...

I second AAR. I'm prepping my six-pack hood right now for paint and it's been a piece of cake.

I 3rd AAR I had a Hood, Scoop, Trunk lid and pair of bumpers for the Varracuda from them. Very nice stuff.

Got a 6 pack bolt on coming from AAR for my 69 GTX clone. Had a lift off from MAS on it. The MAS hood would be budget race car quality at best. I'd get one from AAR, Bill. If you do decide on AAR I'd recommend ordering it now. I've been waiting on mine since May 30th.

i bought a plain non six pack type from aar and it sagged i the middle 5 years later just some info for ya

Was this a Race hood?

The lite weight one? no reinforcing in it?

I perty much figured that's what all the guys would say was AAR.

Man waiting since July well I guess if y'all want the best got to wait.

Thanks guys,

This Hood Was Not Race Type Stock Fiber Replacement Type There Was No Reinfocement In Center Area At All Just A Folled Over Peice Of The Fiber Glass Around The Edge About The Same Shape And Size Of Stock Hood Minus The Center Support This Was The Non Race Type They Had Another Hood For Race Only Are You Buying A Race Hood? The Plain Hood Bolts Up To Stock Spring Locations Also The Hood Uses Stock Front Hardware To Lock And Hold Down Hood OHH PIN ON TYPE MUST BE RACE ONLY? AND THESE HAVE SOME RINFORCEMENT ON THEM QUILTY CONTROL MUST BE BETTER THAN BEFORE GOOD FOR US

I've got AAR hoods on my Dart and my Duster. The fit is fine and the quality appears fine. Mine are both pin-on and it is a major pain in the ***. You're always looking around somewhere to set them down. You have to worry about somebody banging into them when they are off. Windy days are another thing - do NOT take them off. No matter how careful you are you will probably chip them somewhere on one of the edges. Unless your going full race where any weight savings is a factor - I would opt for bolt fiberglass any day of the week in the future.
Daryl

Daryl or anybody that knows,

With the bolt on ones are they beefed up where the hinges bolt on?

I was on AAR web site and I just want to make sure on what I need before I pop for the hoods.

Will get one of the pin on and if the bolt on ones are nice and beefy I will order one of them.

All that have posed which hoods are y'all using?

Thanks,

Bill

Im almost completely sure that you have to get different hinge springs for fiberglass hoods. They are lighter and dont holdas much tension so that you dont bend or crack the hood when you close it. i might be wrong, but from what I know, thats one thing you need.

Yep, 1973 swinger is correct. AAR sells the springs too. I Have them coming with the hood I ordered. If memory serves me, they were $59 a pr. Still patiently waiting for my hood.

And yes Bill, they are supposed to be nice and "beefy".

Mid 80's to early 90's mopar front wheel drives have hood springs that
work great on fiberglass hoods.

Mine are from a 1988 Dodge Daytona....check out your local
salvage yard.

a19.jpg

The clamps are for added insurance....retaining clips are in place

Also you might need to remove a few coils on the front pop up spring.

a22.jpg

If you go for a scoop I would recommend the 4 stainless supports from AAR
They go for $30.00/pair

a05.jpg

a19.jpg

a19.jpg

a22.jpg

a22.jpg

a05.jpg

a05.jpg

I'am looking for a hood an scoop ! Hemi Dart syle the lower profile! Any suggestions or Price?

I'd second the bolt on hinge type for a street application. Although sort of a showy type deal to have the hood all the way off at a show or have it up on those long prop rods, it was a major pain in the back side to deal with the full pin on hood and trunk lid I had.

I used dzus fasteners to hold it in place so I did not have that nasty bad bowing you see on a lot of race weight glass. Especially with the Hemi scoop I had on it. Edges did get buggered while trying to put on and off myself no matter how careful I tried to be. Then it was the same thing as stated above. Nice to have all the room to work and look at anything on the engine, but then where do you put the hood, will it blow over, will someone damage it etc. etc.

Had a fuel cell in the back and pulling to the petrol pump was a chore. I ended up just popping the dzus fasteners and then pivoting the trunk lid up in the drain channel on the car as the edges were scraped up anyway from taking them off and propping it on the pump etc. to fill up.

Just my limited experience with glass components. As I mentioned, these were race weight ones, but if I had it to do over I'd go for bolt on street type ones. You'll still save weight over steel ones. Maybe not at much as with the race ones, but still some.

Cheers

savoy1.jpg

-
Back