Fiberglass Hoods and Fenders

-

charger426

Reaction score
Thinking about going with a Hemi or Sixpack style full fiberglass hood. I want a bolt in hood so I don't have to worry about doing 4 corner hood pins. I was thinking about going with carhood.com but wanted to see if anyone has any other places they are happy with. Also anyone use their fiberglass fenders? If it matters this is going to be a street car that might see the strip once or twice in its life.

I've used 2, aar and glasstek.

Aar is the worst garbage there is.

Glasstek was quality glass. Strong and straight.

One item to note is the cars which came with fiberglass hoods used a different hood spring. The alternate spring was lighter weight as the hoods tended to curl from spring tension.

One item to note is the cars which came with fiberglass hoods used a different hood spring. The alternate spring was lighter weight as the hoods tended to curl from spring tension.

So thats what I thought but where do you get these lighter springs for our cars?

I disagree with that, I have an AAR on my dart, and it is one of the straightest glass hood's Ive seen, excellent quality fit and finish is awesome, and in most peoples opinion the best glass hood's available. I don't have spring's on mine, I used a hood post, I believe it came off a dodge dakota, work's awesome!

View attachment i33432.jpg

View attachment i19951.jpg

I disagree with that, I have an AAR on my dart, and it is one of the straightest glass hood's Ive seen, excellent quality fit and finish is awesome, and in most peoples opinion the best glass hood's available. I don't have spring's on mine, I used a hood post, I believe it came off a dodge dakota, work's awesome!

[/ATTACH]

Well mine is crap. Could it be fixed? for the most part yes.

looks good in pics and good enough in the sun at a car show but under flouresants ..not so much

Attachments

• IMG_0735.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 339
When did you guys buy your hoods? From what I've found it sounds like aar changed ownership within the last couple of years. Maybe thats where the quality changed?

So thats what I thought but where do you get these lighter springs for our cars?

Not certain on A bodies, but for my T/A which has a more traditional hinge the spring is significantly smaller diameter. Even withe the lighter springs after about ten years the hood had a big bow due to the springs always pushing on it. I took the springs off in the fall, let the hood sit over the winter which allowed it to actually flatten back down. Then I dug into the fiberglass to repair the stress cracks, (not for the meek hearted) beefed it up a bit and took the springs off. Now use a post like the other gentleman indicated. In general I find the A body hinges on my 70 dart to be crap and will probably either take the springs off. Not decided yet but need to do something soon as I need to mount my front fenders and finish my project.

Well mine is crap. Could it be fixed? for the most part yes.

looks good in pics and good enough in the sun at a car show but under flouresants ..not so much

Your car look's awesome man, I like the GT trim, not many guy's leave it on like us. Yeah, ive used different glass hood's in the past for other car's (camaro) not mine but the wife's, and the fit was horrible , I couldn't be happier with my AAR on my car.

When did you guys buy your hoods? From what I've found it sounds like aar changed ownership within the last couple of years. Maybe thats where the quality changed?

Mines about 8 years old, I didn't realize they changed owners, hard to believe they would have changed the process though, that would be a big mistake.

Mine is about 13 years old. Same with the glasstek on that silver dart.

What ever hood you purchase if it is fiberglass don't use hood springs light or outherwise they will bow the hood for sure.I know just spent a bunch to correct this problem, even with light springs. Use a hood prop and you will have no problems

What ever hood you purchase if it is fiberglass don't use hood springs light or outherwise they will bow the hood for sure.I know just spent a bunch to correct this problem, even with light springs. Use a hood prop and you will have no problems

Agreed, take them off and run a prop rod. You can actually mount one off a FWD car and it looks and works factory.

-
Back