Fiberglassing Aluminum and Steel

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
Im planning to use short hair fiberglass to blend my new Peakes Dash to the steel frame. Will I be looking for trouble like cracking of the fiberglass since the metals expand and retract at different rates.

Riddler

Im planning to use short hair fiberglass to blend my new Peakes Dash to the steel frame. Will I be looking for trouble like cracking of the fiberglass since the metals expand and retract at different rates.

Riddler

I would use a panel bond rather than fiberglass. Fiberglass resin needs physical adhesion, it does not stick to metal very well. It will crack eventually due to the movement in the dash.

SEM has excellent panel adhesives! Take time to watch the short video below,
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6YTmAw&usg=AFQjCNG_l9rPILkt6sj757klcyLdxAKi-Q

I used their products in a production bodyshop for years without any issues. I glued doorskins, roof skins and 1/4 panels on with that stuff. I never had a recheck!! The glue is actually stronger than the spotwelds.

Just my 2 cents..

The aluminum dash is screwed down, just wanted to cover over the screw heads, and the bottom of the aluminum to the steel.

Riddler

You will have galvanic corrosion if the aluminum is on steel without a barrier. I would panel bond and just use some body filler to correct the problem areas.

-
Back