Final Swap Report: 1961 to 1974

-

doc540

Reaction score
Swap Report: Removed the 7 1/4" rear (3:23 gears) from our 1961 Dodge Lancer, A904 trans. Installed another 7 1/4" rear (2:76 gears) from a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport. Bolt out/bolt in swap, even brake lines and cables (used original '61 shock plates). MUCH better cruising, better mileage, all around better. Speedometer cable pinion gear needs to be changed to a 16 tooth to synch the speedometer to the 2:76 gears. Found one and it goes in soon. Should have done this swap a long time ago. Got the groceries today. Hope someone finds this info helpful.
lancer parking3.jpg

doc540,

I am looking at buying a '61 Dart & I don't know much about cars in the early 60s. It sounds like an A body rear swap into these? What about options for adding disc brakes up front? Any online links for mods? Thanks for any info

Glenn (phish1270)

Doc, yup, axle ratios kind of went backwards: the lightweight early cars with frisky pre-smog engines got 3.55s and 3.23s or, starting in the middle of '62 production, 2.93s with 225/auto. The heavy later cars with weaker desmogged engines got 2.76s. Going the other way round gives nice results. Congratulations on finding the speedometer pinion; that's a toughie!

Glenn, the '61 Dart is not an A-body and all the undercar components are different. You'll want to spend time over at forwardlook.net learning about upgrades for the '61 Dart. Its dual-leading-shoe, two-cylinders-per-wheel brakes are called "Total Contact", and while they are fascinating to study, you'll want something (much) better if you plan to intend stopping the car from time to time.

Also, the '61s had such minimal, useless brake lights that an auxiliary set of bigger round ones was released for the '61s as an accessory sometime after start of production. If you buy a '61 Dart and it doesn't have them, scrounge up a set (they go by on eBay) and add them.

Doc, yup, axle ratios kind of went backwards: the lightweight early cars with frisky pre-smog engines got 3.55s and 3.23s or, starting in the middle of '62 production, 2.93s with 225/auto. The heavy later cars with weaker desmogged engines got 2.76s. Going the other way round gives nice results. Congratulations on finding the speedometer pinion; that's a toughie!

Glenn, the '61 Dart is not an A-body and all the undercar components are different. You'll want to spend time over at forwardlook.net learning about upgrades for the '61 Dart. Its dual-leading-shoe, two-cylinders-per-wheel brakes are called "Total Contact", and while they are fascinating to study, you'll want something (much) better if you plan to intend stopping the car from time to time.

Also, the '61s had such minimal, useless brake lights that an auxiliary set of bigger round ones was released for the '61s as an accessory sometime after start of production. If you buy a '61 Dart and it doesn't have them, scrounge up a set (they go by on eBay) and add them.

Thanks for the info Dan. I'm kind of leaning towards passing on it since it is going to be very hard to find parts for.

If you like that body style,you will find the 62 model to be easier, somewhat, to deal with. It will be an A body and share many things with its relatives. But be aware, these early cars are not easy IMO.

If you like that body style,you will find the 62 model to be easier, somewhat, to deal with. It will be an A body

No, the '62 Dart isn't an A-body, it's a B-body. And it looks nothing like the '61 car, so liking the '61 body style doesn't enter into it, either.

No, the '62 Dart isn't an A-body, it's a B-body. And it looks nothing like the '61 car, so liking the '61 body style doesn't enter into it, either.
TYPO!! I am working on my 62 Lancer and my 62 more door Dart at the same time!!!! I have to be careful if I order some pat!!!!!!!
100_2625.JPG
100_2629.JPG

100_2629.JPG

-
Back