Finally getting on a job that I had on my winter list. And didn’t get to

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know that from past experience I get 2.5-3 years on my engines before I start getting a water leak out of my water pump mounting points on my engine plate. I had it on my mental “to do” list to remove the plate and reseal everything. Well I got jammed up with porting work and it didn’t happen. When I loaded up in the trailer a couple weeks ago there was my leak thankfully before my Ace Race two weeks from now. So it’s time for some maintenance and decision time. Absolutely no outside head porting jobs next winter. Maybe a few intakes because I can finish those up faster but I gotta get on some of my projects. I have 1 maybe two transmissions to build, my 422 and 408 to rebuild, 8 LS heads I’m tripping over, my good set of Edelbrock heads to finish, probably 4-5 sets of my Speedmaster heads in various stages of being done, body work on my black duster, love to finish my blue duster, and maybe some knee replacements. I think I sold one of my sets of Speedmaster heads that I bought last sale to a friend in need over the weekend. This place is a mess over here and I gotta get rid of some stuff.

IMG_2950.jpeg

IMG_2949.jpeg

I know that from past experience I get 2.5-3 years on my engines before I start getting a water leak out of my water pump mounting points on my engine plate. I had it on my mental “to do” list to remove the plate and reseal everything. Well I got jammed up with porting work and it didn’t happen. When I loaded up in the trailer a couple weeks ago there was my leak thankfully before my Ace Race two weeks from now. So it’s time for some maintenance and decision time. Absolutely no outside head porting jobs next winter. Maybe a few intakes because I can finish those up faster but I gotta get on some of my projects. I have 1 maybe two transmissions to build, my 422 and 408 to rebuild, 8 LS heads I’m tripping over, my good set of Edelbrock heads to finish, probably 4-5 sets of my Speedmaster heads in various stages of being done, body work on my black duster, love to finish my blue duster, and maybe some knee replacements. I think I sold one of my sets of Speedmaster heads that I bought last sale to a friend in need over the weekend. This place is a mess over here and I gotta get rid of some stuff.

View attachment 1716252170

View attachment 1716252171
I don't see random junk laying around under your car...that's no mess lol.
By the looks of it a rack and pinion looks like a pretty easy deal

I don't see random junk laying around under your car...that's no mess lol.
By the looks of it a rack and pinion looks like a pretty easy deal

That’s the only way to go in my eyes. When I bought this car around 2007-2008 it was set up with this rack but a very crude Mercury Capri strut and brake setup. I tried looking for spare parts but the setup was so old and made in Germany I couldn’t find available parts. I was always afraid if I hurt something I would be down to long to I had my buddy switch it over to Strange brakes and struts. I should update to a double adjustable sometime but it works pretty good.

That’s the only way to go in my eyes. When I bought this car around 2007-2008 it was set up with this rack but a very crude Mercury Capri strut and brake setup. I tried looking for spare parts but the setup was so old and made in Germany I couldn’t find available parts. I was always afraid if I hurt something I would be down to long to I had my buddy switch it over to Strange brakes and struts. I should update to a double adjustable sometime but it works pretty good.
What rack are you using?

What rack are you using?

I’m guessing Mustang II but honestly like I said I’m guessing. I made bushings for it two years ago so one of these days I would like to get a new one. Like I said I’ve been letting my stuff get ahead of me. That and I’m getting lazier and slower

I’m guessing Mustang II but honestly like I said I’m guessing. I made bushings for it two years ago so one of these days I would like to get a new one. Like I said I’ve been letting my stuff get ahead of me. That and I’m getting lazier and slower
I'm sure your guess is right. 1 step at a time and you'll get through it.
Since Bill has been calling me slacker, I've really made improvements in not being lazy lol

I've often wondered about how well a motor plate would seal like that, because you know, regardless of how many fasteners it has in it, there's some movin around goin on with all the engine torque.

Last edited:
I've often wondered about how well a motor plate would seal like that, because you know, regardless of how many fasteners it has in it, there's some movin around goin on with all the engine torque.

My buddy’s and I have this discussion often. Years ago we tried sealer and gaskets but if you race like we do the gaskets will squeeze out leading to a worse leak. I use Ultra Grey and get three year’s average out of it. It’s a job I’ve done at the track but like most maintenance would prefer to do at home. I have one of Andy’s 1/2 inch engine plates I’d like to switch to instead of this cheap azz 1/4 inch plate but again winter job because I want to change my transmission mount set up too.

My buddy’s and I have this discussion often. Years ago we tried sealer and gaskets but if you race like we do the gaskets will squeeze out leading to a worse leak. I use Ultra Grey and get three year’s average out of it. It’s a job I’ve done at the track but like most maintenance would prefer to do at home. I have one of Andy’s 1/2 inch engine plates I’d like to switch to instead of this cheap azz 1/4 inch plate but again winter job because I want to change my transmission mount set up too.
Just a question. Have you ever tried Permatex #2?

It's real easy to let business stuff pile up when you're really busy, and then our own cars are the first to suffer. I've had the same situation here for the past few years. Thankfully I recently got a break and then my oil dipstick broke off in the pan which forced me to go all-in on several maintenance things and wish list projects all at once. I just wish that dipstick had broken off in the late Fall last year rather than a few weeks ago before Mopars In The Park. Now it's go time!

I know that from past experience I get 2.5-3 years on my engines before I start getting a water leak out of my water pump mounting points on my engine plate. I had it on my mental “to do” list to remove the plate and reseal everything.
I feel your pain. If you've ever tried to get a motor plate to seal on the front cover of a Gen 3 hemi it's not fun. You are sealing a smooth plate to a motor front cover that is designed for the no permatex gasket and about a dozen bolts. The water pump is actually the easy part. The plate has holes for a bb chevy water pump.

I feel your pain. If you've ever tried to get a motor plate to seal on the front cover of a Gen 3 hemi it's not fun. You are sealing a smooth plate to a motor front cover that is designed for the no permatex gasket and about a dozen bolts. The water pump is actually the easy part. The plate has holes for a bb chevy water pump.

I won’t have to worry about that. Lol. I’m invested to heavily in LA blocks.

Just a question. Have you ever tried Permatex #2?

Rusty I did back in the 70’s and 80’s but no matter what I’ve tried it a maintenance job. Lots of twisting going on. It’s not a hard or time consuming job. I just hate working on cars. Lol. If I would rebuild every three years instead of 4-5 years it’s a job I wouldn’t have to do.

My little Momma tough girl Feral that I fed for three years before she let me touch her is now my buddy. She’s even brave enough to walk into my shop to make sure I’m working

IMG_2955.jpeg

IMG_2954.jpeg

I have about 7ish yrs on my last pump experiment , (had a lot of trouble keeping the 505 cool for a while) , with my 1/4'' motor plate , I do have struts on the engine , so no for and aft movement . G askets both sides, any sealer that that I had at the time , studs instead of bolts , never leaked . If I remember right I let the silicone seal set up on both sides of the gaskets before install....
I cut the alum. pump housing down to correct for the 1/4'' plate and the 2 sets of gaskets too....

View attachment 1716252170

View attachment 1716252171
If you are feeling overwhelmed with too many things to get done, you can send that blue Duster my way.
Just kidding, of course. Good plan to work on the stuff you already have laying around. Get that stuff done and find them a new home.

Well everything is cleaned up, new Ultra Grey sealer, and bolted back together. I’ll keep the weight off of it for awhile and tomorrow bolt everything back on the plate and the six 3/8 mounting bolts. I didn’t like the connection on my alternator so I addressed that and I’ll find my new spare alternator belt and install it and use the old one for my spare. Only two mounting bolts on my radiator and a strut support rod so I’ll get that tomorrow too. So far Saturday is looking great so hopefully I can get some passes before the Ace Race.

I took a little extra time on this job and ordered more electrical disconnects in 10 and 12 gauge wire so as I do projects if it doesn’t have a quick disconnect in-line put one in. I hate screwing around trying to unhook stuff like alternators and radiators when you can unplug things in seconds.

IMG_2984.jpeg

Once you touch a black cat you never go back.
Lol.
I had 3 more kitties show up just 2 weeks ago.
Edit 4 new kitties

Last edited:
-
Back