Finally installing the 8 3/4 in Bluefish

-

bluefish1967

Reaction score
After collecting parts for what seems like years, the 7 1/4 is finally coming out.
Spent the summer putting miles on the new 340 and working out the bugs. Decided to replace the 7 1/4 over the winter before it scattered...not really having any issues other than it wants to spin the right tire easily, and I've heard too many horror stories spider gears coming apart.
After a lot of research and advice, I purchased new leaf springs and hardware from Springs and Things. With a lot of spray lube and a torch, it only took about 3 hours to get it all apart.
With all new parts, it only took 2 1/2 hours to get the springs and rear end back in.
The pumpkin came with a 3:23 open dif, but I also have a 2:76 chunk. Going to drive a while with the 3:23 to see how bad it is on the highway before deciding which gear to go with, then I'll put a sure-grip in. My concern is the highway RPM;s since the rear tires aren't real tall.
Going to pick up the driveshaft tomorrow from the shop, and install it Sunday. Still waiting on the brake hardware from Rockauto.
My only regret is not getting the 1" or maybe 2" over springs, as the rear isn't quite as high as I would have liked.

rear1.jpg

rear2.jpg

rear3.jpg

Whats the possibility of exchanging the springs for taller ones? My new springs settled about 1/2" over the next year. I know its a lot of hard work but when are you going to change them again?

Whats the possibility of exchanging the springs for taller ones? My new springs settled about 1/2" over the next year. I know its a lot of hard work but when are you going to change them again?
Not sure yet on the springs. I'm used to the back end up in the air with air shocks. Once I get the driveshaft in I can get the car outside and get a real good look at it. It measures close to level, guess I was hoping for more.
Good news is I picked up the driveshaft today and it measures exactly what I think it should be. Sunday I"ll see if it fits. Larry

What all did you have to do to the drive shaft? I'll be doing the same thing on my 65 Barracuda here shortly.
I have a restoration manual that shows what the driveshaft length should be from the factory with different engine/trans/differential combos. I used that for my base number, then measured my old driveshaft in the car with the new ( 8 3/4 ) rear end, then calculated what needs to come off. That measurement was in line with what the book said it should be in total length.
Be aware, the 2 shops I talked to wanted no part in helping to calculate the proper length. Larry

-
Back