Finally!

-

cuda620

Reaction score
i didn't know where to post this I'm so happy! Finally after 35 years I have another cuda. 35 years ago I got married and sold my baby, at that time, my 68 Barracuda. Been kickin myself for years. Finally found a 67 Barracuda that I fell in love with. Wasn't gonna spend the money on it,but at the urging of my family
And now wife, I took the plunge. See, I had a stroke last year. Actually 3 blood clots and 3 simultanious strokes. Messed me up pretty good. I was and am perfectly healthy. 2 tears in my neck arteries caused it. Word to the wise, check and keep check on yourself. Let no little thing go. I'm not that old. Doctors said my previous health is why I didn't die from my attacks. My family said I should know i may not be here tomorrow,so I went for it. Now,what to do? Frame ties,front and rear sway bars, disc brake conversion. I wonder if they make em for sbp wheels. I like the rallys that's on there. Personally don't see an advantage to the bbp. Try to find some 8"x14" back wheels. It's a 7.25 rear. I could have mosier cut a Dana 60 or a ford 9" to fit. I have those. It cost a fortune to find an 8.75 A body rear and I don't have one. Dunno, mind is working o.t. Just got the car yesterday!!! Sorry for the rant. If anyone sees this and has a good deal on parts or advise,I'm all ears. Btw, I have two 440's a 400 and a 360 plus it came it came with a 318. Heck I even have an ls3 with 600 hp. So engines isn't a problem. I have a great family!!

Congratulations on your new purchase. I'm glad your healthy again. Family is the best. We would love to see some pic's.

I'm working on pictures. Not computer savy. She's a beauty! For now you can look on Craig's list under 67 Barracuda Meadville PA if he hasn't pulled the add yet. Just got it yesterday. Yea family's great. They said dad,you can't take it with you, you deserve it. Quit being so cheap and buy the car...

I have a Barracuda too! It's a 68fb FormulaS clone. It has a 367LA, a deep-low A833,a GVOD, and a narrowed 8.75 with 295s in the stock tubs, which have seen 325/50-15s in them. The fronts are KHers with the 4" sbps.
I too love this car style. It was completed in fall of 1999. I was 47 that summer. If you have questions you can PM me. My chassis, in the last 18 years, has seen all kinds of trannys and rear ends and 2 SBMs and several cams. I have never had a BB, but once did dream about a 400low-decker, with maybe a bit of a stroke. Since you already have the parts, I'd be leaning in that direction.

But, Mr.Happy, have you considered a turbo car? With your mechanical skills and experience, has this idea ever crossed your mind? If you brought this to completion,you would be one of the very few. I think the 360LA could make a dynomite mover. Even a teener could be more than enough for a streeter. The 360 tho,could be built to hit bigger trapspeeds on less boost,and would probably be a bit better out of the gate.This has always been a dream of mine, but at 64 this summer, I have all but given up on that one.

Thought about a low deck 451 since I have a spare 440 crank and 2 engines,mild.maybe a short rod motor instead of long. Also been thinking about a single or twin 360 turbo. Like to have a 4 speed with a gear vendors but it's got the original console shifter and I don't want to mess up the interior. That's why I was staying 727/ GVO. 67 notchback cuda. She's a beauty.

Lol! I went to the garage to see if I was dreaming.... Nope ,still there! Great! Lol.

Lol! I went to the garage to see if I was dreaming.... Nope ,still there! Great! Lol.
Cngrats, my first new car was , u guessed it. a 68 form S 383 fastback. wore the rear tires out on it and traded it for a 69 coronet rt 440 4 speed dodge. Drove for about a yr and a half, and traded it for a 427 corvette stingray, drove it about 23 hrs and sold it. I always wanted a 68 fastback ever since. After about 7 yrs in the making, I now have a 505' , alum. headed, fuel inj., 4 wheel disc brakes, 1968, orig. form S fastback . If u put a r/b block in it, I would do a 400 block, and not use raised port heads. I did and it sure is tite !! I`m not comp. savy either, so, no pics , other than my avatar here and on fbbo. good luck.-----bob

Glad to see, you are on the mend... My favorite 'Cuda is what you have in your garage. Welcome to the hobby again.

If you build a combo with a lotta torque, I can't imagine needing a GVOD. I mean I have one because I was using it for something else at one time, but with my little 367 and 3.55s I hardly need it. It's nice to have and since I already had it, on it went.
But you are talking combos that would make mega torque compared to my 367, so you could easily run less than 3.55s, making the GVOD kindof redundant. I mean sure, you can run 4.30s with it (I did) but my combo just wasted first gear and so will anything bigger than I got, which you got lots of.So that's why I say I can't imagine you needing one.
Unless maybe your speed limits are way more than our 65mph.
Or you are thinking of gearing it for the track.
IMO,a low-rpm BB wouldn't really need an OD, yet would deliver more than a street chassis or street tires can handle.
Putting a GVOD behind a turbo'ed SBM with a small cam,however, now I see a GVOD to be very useful.
For a dual-purpose BB, I think a Winters QuickChange could possibly be a better idea.

If you build a combo with a lotta torque, I can't imagine needing a GVOD. I mean I have one because I was using it for something else at one time, but with my little 367 and 3.55s I hardly need it. It's nice to have and since I already had it, on it went.
But you are talking combos that would make mega torque compared to my 367, so you could easily run less than 3.55s, making the GVOD kindof redundant. I mean sure, you can run 4.30s with it (I did) but my combo just wasted first gear and so will anything bigger than I got, which you got lots of.So that's why I say I can't imagine you needing one.
Unless maybe your speed limits are way more than our 65mph.
Or you are thinking of gearing it for the track.
IMO,a low-rpm BB wouldn't really need an OD, yet would deliver more than a street chassis or street tires can handle.
Putting a GVOD behind a turbo'ed SBM with a small cam,however, now I see a GVOD to be very useful.
For a dual-purpose BB, I think a Winters QuickChange could possibly be a better idea.
Dunno what engine yet. Speed limits here are 70, they let you run 75 plus all day that's why the GVO. If I go Bigblock I'll stick ith a b motor. Maybe a home grown 451 for clearance. I have two 440's a 400 and an LA360, dunno. Thought about a blown 360 too.could run 2:76 gears,but bad acceleration. Do 100 mph in 1st though.

Last edited:
I have a Barracuda too! It's a 68fb FormulaS clone. It has a 367LA, a deep-low A833,a GVOD, and a narrowed 8.75 with 295s in the stock tubs, which have seen 325/50-15s in them. The fronts are KHers with the 4" sbps.
I too love this car style. It was completed in fall of 1999. I was 47 that summer. If you have questions you can PM me. My chassis, in the last 18 years, has seen all kinds of trannys and rear ends and 2 SBMs and several cams. I have never had a BB, but once did dream about a 400low-decker, with maybe a bit of a stroke. Since you already have the parts, I'd be leaning in that direction.

But, Mr.Happy, have you considered a turbo car? With your mechanical skills and experience, has this idea ever crossed your mind? If you brought this to completion,you would be one of the very few. I think the 360LA could make a dynomite mover. Even a teener could be more than enough for a streeter. The 360 tho,could be built to hit bigger trapspeeds on less boost,and would probably be a bit better out of the gate.This has always been a dream of mine, but at 64 this summer, I have all but given up on that one.

I've thought about a turbo or supercharged 360. Better fit, handling ,gas mileage plus more power than a 451 or 440. Manual steering and manual brake car otta be easy fit.

I've thought about a turbo or supercharged 360. Better fit, handling ,gas mileage plus more power than a 451 or 440. Manual steering and manual brake car otta be easy fit.
My thoughts as well.
It should be possible to detune the 360 some, to run those 2.76s, and get superb-for-a-360 fuel economy, yet with a staged system you could have torque on demand with the smaller one, and mega-power when the larger comes on line.
I know if I ever get the coin for a do-over, that is what I would do.
Well except I think I would start with a smaller engine. I have this old 273 here that has been begging for a home since about 1974..............................
I think I could get 25/28mpgsUS outta one of those pretty easy.And 300/350 ftlbs on the little turbo. And 450hp on the total. And I wouldn't need a steenking 6000 rpm cam either. It could idle at 500 in gear, and sound like nothing is going on at all. I could run a small TC and let the little turbo do the work in all the lower rpms, yet it could freewheel at 65 mph=2200ish rpm. I like 2200. It's a nice quiet comforting sound out the back. I would run an A999 for the wide-ratio gears, and the reasonable starter gear.I would set up the turbo to not blow the tires away like my 360 does. Just a nice Grand National soft-start.A gentlemans start.
I have always wanted to try one of those Offy Dual-Ports with a dualfeed spreadbore carb. I was thinking of running dual fuels, 87E10 in the primaries and 91 into the back. I was thinking of plumbing the smaller turbo into the primaries and the big-mutha into the back dumps. Can you imagine the throttle response?! I think I would try to figure out how to stage the primaries 100% without engaging the secondaries. And then figure out how to bring the secondaries in a different way.
I have an idea for the exhaust too, but most would poo-poo my idea, so I won't even mention it. I'm already way out of my comfort zone.
I would like to run long tubes into interconnected plenums alongside the automatic. Then turn around and run a small pipe from there up to a small turbo under the hood.
Then run a bigger pipe from that plenum rearwards to the big turbo out back where the muffler now is. I wouldn't run mufflers at all. The turbos could be sized for a bit of overlap
Since both turbos are running off the same plenum,I could stage them with priority valves to open/close in any combination I like. I can even shut the little one off once the big one gets going; I would never need a waste-gate.
The remote-mount would need it's own oil supply and pump. The front one probably not.
The beauty of this system is that I can use any old junkyard engine. If it blows up, I am never more than a few dollars and a day from being down the road again. If the front turbo quits, I can shut it off, and keep on trucking. If the back one quits, I can still pump enough air through it to cruise on home from anywhere. And it will not affect my fuel consumption one tiny bit. If they both seize up at the same time, I can remove the hat, and still drive. If my priority valve controller dies, I can still drive.
Set up for cheap gas on the primaries, I can drive anywhere.
If the 273 is not powerful enough by itself until the small turbo comes to life, a teener is like $200 or less almost anywhere. A 360 is not much more.And they all interchange. Actually a 340 ...no forget that. A better idea is a 360 for it's long stroke.They are easier to adjust the compression ratio on and pistons are everywhere and cheap, if you want to get tricky.
It's just that they are so hard to not spin the tires with,lol. But you can put a lil more cam into a 360 to soften up the bottom, exactly what the teeners don't want,lol.
Ah yeah, dreaming is so much fun.
One more year and I can retire. Maybe I'll go out and remortgage my house while they will still let me........
Whatever you decide, I'm looking forward to see your dream come true. I'll be watching.

Congrats. And understand health thing. Similar situation got me back into cars. Took that to get me to say - screw it, I'm getting what I always wanted.

If you want it with nice manners, I like what AJ said. Blown or turbo the 360.

If you want something N/A then definitely stroke the 400! Even with cam around .500 you should be at 1hp/CI.

Congrats again. Can't wait for pics!

My thoughts as well.
It should be possible to detune the 360 some, to run those 2.76s, and get superb-for-a-360 fuel economy, yet with a staged system you could have torque on demand with the smaller one, and mega-power when the larger comes on line.
I know if I ever get the coin for a do-over, that is what I would do.
Well except I think I would start with a smaller engine. I have this old 273 here that has been begging for a home since about 1974..............................
I think I could get 25/28mpgsUS outta one of those pretty easy.And 300/350 ftlbs on the little turbo. And 450hp on the total. And I wouldn't need a steenking 6000 rpm cam either. It could idle at 500 in gear, and sound like nothing is going on at all. I could run a small TC and let the little turbo do the work in all the lower rpms, yet it could freewheel at 65 mph=2200ish rpm. I like 2200. It's a nice quiet comforting sound out the back. I would run an A999 for the wide-ratio gears, and the reasonable starter gear.I would set up the turbo to not blow the tires away like my 360 does. Just a nice Grand National soft-start.A gentlemans start.
I have always wanted to try one of those Offy Dual-Ports with a dualfeed spreadbore carb. I was thinking of running dual fuels, 87E10 in the primaries and 91 into the back. I was thinking of plumbing the smaller turbo into the primaries and the big-mutha into the back dumps. Can you imagine the throttle response?! I think I would try to figure out how to stage the primaries 100% without engaging the secondaries. And then figure out how to bring the secondaries in a different way.
I have an idea for the exhaust too, but most would poo-poo my idea, so I won't even mention it. I'm already way out of my comfort zone.
I would like to run long tubes into interconnected plenums alongside the automatic. Then turn around and run a small pipe from there up to a small turbo under the hood.
Then run a bigger pipe from that plenum rearwards to the big turbo out back where the muffler now is. I wouldn't run mufflers at all. The turbos could be sized for a bit of overlap
Since both turbos are running off the same plenum,I could stage them with priority valves to open/close in any combination I like. I can even shut the little one off once the big one gets going; I would never need a waste-gate.
The remote-mount would need it's own oil supply and pump. The front one probably not.
The beauty of this system is that I can use any old junkyard engine. If it blows up, I am never more than a few dollars and a day from being down the road again. If the front turbo quits, I can shut it off, and keep on trucking. If the back one quits, I can still pump enough air through it to cruise on home from anywhere. And it will not affect my fuel consumption one tiny bit. If they both seize up at the same time, I can remove the hat, and still drive. If my priority valve controller dies, I can still drive.
Set up for cheap gas on the primaries, I can drive anywhere.
If the 273 is not powerful enough by itself until the small turbo comes to life, a teener is like $200 or less almost anywhere. A 360 is not much more.And they all interchange. Actually a 340 ...no forget that. A better idea is a 360 for it's long stroke.They are easier to adjust the compression ratio on and pistons are everywhere and cheap, if you want to get tricky.
It's just that they are so hard to not spin the tires with,lol. But you can put a lil more cam into a 360 to soften up the bottom, exactly what the teeners don't want,lol.
Ah yeah, dreaming is so much fun.
One more year and I can retire. Maybe I'll go out and remortgage my house while they will still let me........
Whatever you decide, I'm looking forward to see your dream come true. I'll be watching.

AJ always gives great posts!

Jeff

Thanks guys! Both nice cudas! If I do a 451, it'll have to be home grown cause of limited budget to build it. Including hand grinding the counterweights. There's an article on it somewhere... Unless I'm able to sell an LS3 that I built. Then there's the money.

there goes the $$$

The nice thing about the SBM idea, is you already have 2 of them. I bet one of them at least is ready to run. You could be driving in a week or two? And spend next winter engineering a turbo system.And maybe by then an 8.75 will have come your way.

True,it's a 318 now. 360LA is sitting in the garage along with the big blocks...

Yes I have considered a turbo 360. The LS guys have been using cheap eBay turbos and getting good power and reliability out of them.

-
Back