fire extinguisher type and mount

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
looking to install in my demon bench seat car? what is the best type, size and mounting location? Pictures? Thanks...

Best location is "as close to the driver as possible"

Stay away from dry chemical extinguishers. They work great but make a mess.

I went to Home Depot and bought one last year. It's a Kidde brand and made for vehicle use. IIRC it was about $20. I think it's B-C rated and I think I bought the larger one rather than the little one.
The float needle stuck on my slanty last summer and when the fuel bowl overflowed and gas went out the vent, it dripped right on the exhaust manifold. As soon as I finished fixing the carb I drove right out to buy one.

Bad news is that I can't tell you how good it is.
Good news is that I have NOT had to use it yet.

Any extinguisher is better than nothing. Yes ABC will make a mess, but fire will make an even bigger mess. Close as you can mount to the driver the better. Under the front seat edge is a good place. I have mine on the lower garnish in the rear on the driver side. I feel like I can get to it pretty quick.

BDB9A374-5F47-4DFD-9D9B-9B219CF7C14F.jpeg

A bench seat is probably challenging but a mount bracket for buckets could be fashioned fairly easily to keep from putting holes in the floor by using the standard seat track holes and sandwiching it in. I had put mine in, in 84 after loosing my SuperBee to fire and buying this Barracuda. The holes were there already in the garnish trim so I left it there. The powder is easier to clean up than this mess and and halon units are getting harder to find.

Scan_Pic0003.jpg

Scan_Pic0004.jpg

-
Back