Firm Feel Steering Chuck

-

DA4AD

Reaction score
Anyone install the firm feel steering box from Mancini racing? I would like to install a new steering box in my car (1973 Dart Sport) as it is all over the road and I have a ton of play in the steering wheel. I read in one of the magazines years ago that there was a police box to use, is this the same one with better a better ratio?
- How hard was it to install with the motor in the car?
- Is there a big improvement over stock?
- Are there other options as I get a great deal at my local Mopar dealer.

I will be ordering one this week once I here feedback on here.
Hard to keep the car straight banging through the gears!
Thanks
:burnout:

I installed a firm feel from a 86 cop car had to change the idler arm to a 73 style I believe love it put the cooler on it from the cop car too with the 4.56 gears!

Just checked out firm feel. My car is standard steering and I was going to upgrade to power but after looking at these new boxes I don't think I should.
What about the flaming river box?

Well, Just got off the phone with Firm Feel and I bought the stage 3 power steering box, sector shaft support and the large ball joint upper control arms for more positive caster. Parts are approximatley three/four weeks away.
According to Firm Feel this will greatly improve the front end steering and feel on this car.

Anyone have alignments specs I should use?

There are many places that can induce slop in your stearing.
not just the box

Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you examine each on the components in your steering. inspect the ball joints, tie rod ends idler arm and steering box bolts. you should be able to see what is moving and what isn't

Thanks trapster, I was waiting for someone to comment.
The entire front end is new, the only slop I seen was steering box play and flex on the K frame. I actually couldn't believe how much the box was flexing. I will weld in some gusset plates while I have the box out!
I really think the positive caster will help too.

I saw that, never witness it though but an extra plate on the k frame should be that same as the stiffiner that firm feel sells

[ame]http://www.firmfeel.com/img/Primesteer.pdf[/ame]

..are you sure the mounting bolts are tight?
a loose box will give you fits...turn the shaft by hand under the hood and just watch the steering box.

..are you sure the mounting bolts are tight?
a loose box will give you fits...turn the shaft by hand under the hood and just watch the steering box.

K-frame flex is a known issue that is getting more and more common with the harder/shorter sidewall of modern tires. Most k's are just welded in a few spots instead of the entire seam. When you weld in the extra plate you should weld the seams too.

I had a problem with the sleeve on the idler arm. The arm was fine, but there was a lot of slop where the bolt goes through the sleeve. Caused a lot of slop

for those interested,
I finally picked up my front end parts today. if anyone is sitting on the fence about buying any of these products from Firm Feel I highly recommend them. everything came nicely packaged, powder coated and great welding/fabricating.
I will be trying the Charger/Magnum 17" x 7" rims with a 4-1/2" BS. If they work out i will be widening the rears to 9".
I have included a few pics with a center cap. photo #4 shows the cap at normal height. if i were to cut down the five mounting lugs as shown in pic #6 the cap will recess down into the rim a little tighter as shown in pic #5.
Picture # 7 just shows a stock 14" rally bedside the 17" rim.

Now, does anyone wanna buy a motor so i can rip-out my K member to change the motor and install these sweet parts?
http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...-Dodge-360-V8-Motor-Engine-W0QQAdIdZ490666730

Attachments

• ffm.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 435
  • ffm3.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 439
  • fffm3.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 456
  • fffm.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 468
  • ffm4.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 439
  • ffm5.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 443
  • ffm7.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 469
When i'm upgrading the front suspension are there other parts I should be considering like pitman arm, idler arm or center link?
I was just going to use good stock stuff like Moog or others.
I've seen that the is a fast ratio pitman/idler arm and also a roller bearing idler arm available from firm feel.
I have decided to go with 18" wheels instead of the 17".
Thoughts?

-
Back