First 1970 Ebody Hemi Cuda - $3,200,000

-

MOPAR4Me

Reaction score
Anybody have a spare $3.2MM?

The purported First 1970 Ebody Hemi Cuda is up for grabs on Craigslist.

Here is the link if you can swing it.

First 1970 Ebody Hemi Cuda

00d0d_jgU3ShzwEB_1200x900.jpg

01717_fRdcl7ytgvk_1200x900.jpg

They better shampoo that carpet for that price. Looked nasty and they want 3.2 mil?? I see jay Leno on that. He likes the ol' mopars

Looks like it had a quickie done on it. Painted door latch screws, and the decklid and right qtr look "grey" like they nearly buffed through it or just not enough paint on the car. Paint on the door panels etc.

edit They just didn't get enough paint on it.

It's also missing the ID stickers on the door with the VIN and other info...

Why go craigslist for something like that, use a broker...

It's legit it's a local car. It's rough and really not worth the asking price! Anyone can come see the car it's at the Natmus museum in Auburn, IN. The bal-stud Hemi is also located there.

Am I missing something ? The VIN decodes out to be correct for this car but this looks like the 3rd car off the line as 100001 is the first and 100002 would be the second....maybe the first 2 were never released to the public and were executive cars.....but they are still out there , no?

Not only that, you think a Hemi Cuda would have a rallye gauge package dash and not a standard dash as mentioned

It was the first Hemi Cuda sold to the public. The car was sold new through Pointsette Chrysler Plymouth in Fort Wayne, IN. It was sold to the son of the guy who own Zolis an Italian restaurant in Fort Wayne, IN. My dad has a lot of history with the car.

It was the first Hemi Cuda sold to the public. The car was sold new through Pointsette Chrysler Plymouth in Fort Wayne, IN. It was sold to the son of the guy who own Zolis an Italian restaurant in Fort Wayne, IN. My dad has a lot of history with the car.
Well it may have been the first sold to the public but it is not the first produced then...Or were the first and second ones not hemi cars? 1 and 2 probably still exist

As the story goes these where promo cars the first two Cudas where destroyed by Chrysler. As I stated I don't know for sure, that is the story I heard. The car has been checked by several people including Galen Govier. It is what is it's just a rough car with a curious history, some of it hasn't been stated on paper.

It's "kitchy cool" to me. Not worth anywhere near that price to most collectors I'd think. Too much done to be "unrestored original" and not enough done to be a nice restored car.

Thats original hemi dirt on the floor, dont vacuum it! I read the first hemi GTX was supposed to be a test mule, sort of a shakedown car that never got sold, probably same as other lines. roll the first one ot and have every exec run it around the bumpy track a few hundered times looking for loose panels and seats....Then they get whacked. 3.2M? Good luck. And stop driving it!

It's been for sale for probably almost 20 years every time he gets an interested party the price goes up. That the type of person the owner is.

I drove preproduction Acura NSXs in Ohio last year and they were serialized....
They did not have Number Plate on the engine which doesn't correspond to the actual VIN #.

Those cars are still in use for various uses like customer factory tours and track time.

The non rally dash comments are funny!
It was an option .
Believe it or not many ta' s aar's, hemi cars , and six pack cars had standard dashes.
More 72 and newer ebodies had rally dashes then 70 or 71's .
My brothers ta challenger is not a rally dash car .

Am I missing something ? The VIN decodes out to be correct for this car but this looks like the 3rd car off the line as 100001 is the first and 100002 would be the second....maybe the first 2 were never released to the public and were executive cars.....but they are still out there , no?

Those may not have been Hemi cars...

The last 6 digits are individual to the specific car... It's the ones before that is what tells what engine size it came with...

For all we know, 100001 and 100002 may have been slant 6, 318, 340, 383, 440....

also, they don't build them in the order of the last 6 digits in the VIN... They are build according to the SEQUENCE NUMBER which is listed on the build sheet.... Sequence numbers go by around 100 increments, then they can make some "fill-ins" if they have to shuffle some orders around to prevent having to resequence everything after for one change...

If you go to an assembly plant, very rarely will you see consecutive VIN numbers coming down the line back-to-back...

When you first order the car, it gets assigned a Vehicle Order Number (VON)...

Then it gets assigned the VIN number after the order goes through edit and passes edit... That's where they check all of the sales codes and verify there are no conflicts or mistakes...

Then the order "floats" for 3-4 weeks until the scheduler at the assembly plant schedules it for production... They usually schedule it 1-2 weeks before it's built... they have to make sure that they have the parts to build all of the options required for that car... The last thing they want is to have the car on the line and run out of parts for it and have to stop the line... When the line stops, there are manager's butts on the line if it's not back running soon...

Then when the scheduler assigns a build date, it will get the SEQUENCE NUMBER... It is this sequence number that determines it's position on the assembly line... These numbers are consecutive according to the increment...

It has happened that two consecutive VIN cars get built back to back, but it is a rare occasion...

Don't forget that engineering pulls quite a few of the first built cars to run their verification testing on the production tooling... They get the first ones off the line and then the rest are put on hold for about 1 month until the production verification testing is complete and everything passes... They can't ship the cars until they have been verified and approved in case there was a problem discovered so they don't have to recall them later...

If anybody has read any of the old stories on this car, a lot of the u snswered questions would become much more clear! This car was born as a Barracuda, and was taken completely apart to write the warranty book on the E body Plymouth, then reassembled as a Cuda to include the warranty information for Cuda specific items! It was not supposed to be sold to the public at all, but was instead dumped off at Poinsette, in small town rural America just to get the car off the books! A lot more info is available on the car in older publications!!

-
Back