First post: neutral rattle

-

ElFin

Reaction score
Hello Forum members, this is my first post on this forum. I have been a member of slantsix.org for awhile known as Slantfin. I started to feel guilty about sneaking in questions about my 340, so I decided to join For A-bodies Only. My problem is that when in neutral, the clutch rattles and makes all kind of noise. Engage the clutch and it quiets right down.
I just finished a ton of work, which makes everything harder to figure out. For starters, I welded in a transmission crossmember that was chopped out to fit in a Doug Nash 4+1 manual trans. I also replaced the motor mounts and transmission mount.
Since I started the car after re-installing the original clutch and heard the noise, I've installed a new Centerforce package, re-installed the original transmission mount, which was modified to fit the DN, and adjusted the clutch linkage to 1" of free play. When I bought the car 15 years ago it had a Centerforce clutch, so clearance shouldn't be the problem. Sorry: long post. Ideas, anyone?

put a spring that pulls the throwout bearing away from the pressure plate fingers.....just a thought...and Welcome to f.a.b.o. and feel free to post all the mopar questions you want....Wagg's

Thanks for the replies. Throwout bearing is a heavy-duty one and has less than 500 miles on it. I did put a return spring between clutch fork and starter bolt during the overhaul. I wonder if I change the angle of the new spring, that might line up the clutch fork differently.
Hot rods....

OK when the release bearing is bad the noise appears when you push the clutch pedal down. When the front bearing in the trans is bad the noise appears when you release the clutch pedal. Common logical diagnosis that applies to every make.

Are you referring to the input bearing or the pilot bearing? That reminds me to check the transmission oil level, maybe that's low. I refilled it but spilled some on the installation.

good call refish,Ive never experienced that particular problem.I will say that there is always room for more grease in the throwout bearing and I have out of habit sat there and packed new throwout bearings as they tend to not put enough grease in them when they are manufactured,kinda like packing wheel bearings but its a tint lil' opening but with patience you'll have enough grease in there :cheers:

Pilot shaft bearing. Very front bearing in the trans.

good call refish,Ive never experienced that particular problem.I will say that there is always room for more grease in the throwout bearing and I have out of habit sat there and packed new throwout bearings as they tend to not put enough grease in them when they are manufactured,kinda like packing wheel bearings but its a tint lil' opening but with patience you'll have enough grease in there :cheers:

A release bearing shouldn't need a full load of grease. It should spin up from dead stop to engine rpm instantly and effortlessly and not throw grease all around in the bellhousing.
Too much grease can overheat a bearing that runs continuously too.

Didn't change the pilot bearing, so that could well be the source of the noise. At this point it will have to wait until next summer; I'm headed to the Philippines this month, and have too much to do until then.
I had the trans in and out several times, so the pilot shaft bearing could have been damaged. I think you're on to something there, RedFish. Does anyone have an opinion on type of bearing? It has the solid one now.

Just so we're on the same page.. I'm not refering to the bushing at the nose of the pilot shaft. The trans case should have a cap bolted on the front of it. There is a oil seal and a roller bearing right inside there.

Ah. I was calling that the input bearing, but I got you. That makes me feel better in a way, since I had been considering changing the bushing that is in the end of the crankshaft, that I had been calling the pilot bearing, but slacked off. Now the problem would be finding the proper bearing for a Doug Nash 5-speed which is no longer in production, if I'm not mistaken. I'm going to top off the trans oil and say a 'Hail Mary'. If that doesn't work, I'll worry about it next season. Thanks for the help.
Also, how hard is it to replace that bearing. I seems like I should be able to remove the input bearing retainer, and slide the needle bearing out. Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Pilot bushing-inside the rear crankshaft flange

input shaft bearing-inboard of the input shaft bearing retainer

Any parts store should be able to cross reference the bearing#

-
Back