First run at the track, time a guess?

-

Dustedu2

Reaction score
If I go to the track with my Duster, new combo, and have no idea what it will run and don't have a roll cage, is there a calculation the tech's do to say I will need it based on my combo, or do I run and come in under the time required for a roll cage and they kick me out????? Only been the track once with my 318 and ran a 15.1... I now have a 422 and i will do much better than that, hoping for low 11's

If I go to the track with my Duster, new combo, and have no idea what it will run and don't have a roll cage, is there a calculation the tech's do to say I will need it based on my combo, or do I run and come in under the time required for a roll cage and they kick me out????? Only been the track once with my 318 and ran a 15.1... I now have a 422 and i will do much better than that, hoping for low 11's

Go out & make a couple (or a few) 1/8 mile passes, as long as the timers are set for 1/4 mile, this way if they don't catch it in the tower your good, you can then calculate the 1/4 off your 1/8 & get an idea of what it will run, then on your last pass run it out through the 1/4 :glasses8:

Normally you can get away with 7.5s in the 1/8 without a roll bar, some will let you get away with 7.3s, You can't go faster then 11.50 1/4 without a roll bar, but like i said, if you let off passed the 1/8 your 1/4 mile will of coarse be low, maybe they won't catch it.

It really depends on the track and tech people. Here in michigan, i went to two different tracks trying to do the same thing your doing, and really only got hassled at one of the tracks. If the timing tower is paying attention, they will be able to tell what your car is capable of by watching the launch and will soon find you if your close to 11.50. The problem really comes from not wanting to lift before the 1/4 to see what your car will really do. So make a couple passes and if your closing in on 11.50 you better get the bar. I learned the hard way.

Tell them it's the first time out and they'll let you run. Make a run faster than 11.5 and you're done. If you think it might turn a best of low 11's, you'll probably have to make a number of runs to get there.

If you actually DO run low 11's, you ought to put a cage in it anyway. If you don't want to put a cage in your car... um.. build a slower car...? Or, don't race it.

faster then 11.49 in quarter mile requires a 6 pt Roll Bar...not a full cage..

OK, Thanks for the info. After my short test run just out in front of my shop, The car has all the power I hoped for but don't want a roll bar yet if I don't need one. Just want to have fun with the car this summer, street and track. Mods to come this winter will surly put it under 11.5 and I will put roll bar in then. Unless I am forced to now. Again, thanks much,

OK, Thanks for the info. After my short test run just out in front of my shop, The car has all the power I hoped for but don't want a roll bar yet if I don't need one. Just want to have fun with the car this summer, street and track. Mods to come this winter will surly put it under 11.5 and I will put roll bar in then. Unless I am forced to now. Again, thanks much,

Find you an outlaw track & have fun, i've been down this road with the Duster in my sig , ran 10.9s/11.0s for a solid 2 yrs. & no hassles & no Bar, one of them was a sanctioned track too. :mrgreen:

If your Dusters weight is down, it might be hard keeping that 422 in the 11s.

-
Back