First time mods on my 318 and it won't start...

-
some food for thought - I took my engine out and did a few upgrades this past winter - put it back in and it wouldn't start.. :BangHead:. Well WTH, I never even touched the distributor, so I know it's not timing.. - but when I hit the ignition I got boomp, floomp, glunk, pop, FIRE! - yea, fire in the carb.. well, at least I KNOW it's getting fuel and spark! :lol: - adjust the timing a bit, same result.. boomp, floomp, glunk, pop, FIRE!.. did this no less than 6 more times trying to MAKE it run.. not happening - even managed to kill the battery. Gave up, called it a day - way too close to being pissed off. Set the trickle charger on the battery and left it. Next day, rechecked EVERYTHING.. this time squirted some carb cleaner into the carb - banged the ignition - SAME result - boomp, floomp, glunk, pop, FIRE! OK, screw this, took the left valve cover off, took the distributor cap off and made SURE it was at TDC.. put it all back together and STILL got the same result... fire in the carburetor... hummmmm... I guess I should check the plugs. Pulled #1 plug.. BLACK and soaking wet - - as were all 8. Pulled 'em all and cleaned them off with carb cleaner and a tooth brush, wiped 'em off with a rag and put them back in ... ok, lets try this again - hit the ignition switch and WHAM - it fired right up.

So to keep a long story short (trust me, this is the short version :D) - check your plugs.

Just a quick update: plugs are clean, nothing out of the ordinary. :)

I went ahead and disassembled the carb - god my hands still reek of gasoline. There was no bad dirt buildup or anything else I'd rate as "not good at all" but the gaskets were all heavily squashed, some stuck to the metal hard. It got worse the lower I got; the venturi booster gaskets could only be removed in layers and the help of a razorblade. OK, now I'm gonna hunt for a rebuild kit with new gaskets. Too bad we don't have parts stores around the corner in my region... :(

Any recommendations on a cleaning solvent for the hard to reach holes and crevices? I used brake cleaner for the outer parts...

You need a real "carburetor cleaner." Chemicals have become "greener" over the years, so I don't know anymore what brand works. Last I "figured" Gunk is not worth dragging home, "Mechanics brand" used to be good. Also get some good carb spray cleaner, and wear eye protection. Use the snorkel to blow out every tiny passage you can find Be careful blowing out with air that you don't unseat some core plug or blow EG the accel pump needle/ ball out to "yonder pasture."

Berryman chem dip and Gumout if you can find either are good "dip" also

Best carb dip I have found is a 50/50 solution of simple green and water, boiled in a crock pot.
Be careful how long you leave it in there because it can strip the finish off a carb.

Just a quick update: plugs are clean, nothing out of the ordinary. :)

I went ahead and disassembled the carb - god my hands still reek of gasoline. There was no bad dirt buildup or anything else I'd rate as "not good at all" but the gaskets were all heavily squashed, some stuck to the metal hard. It got worse the lower I got; the venturi booster gaskets could only be removed in layers and the help of a razorblade. OK, now I'm gonna hunt for a rebuild kit with new gaskets. Too bad we don't have parts stores around the corner in my region... :(

Any recommendations on a cleaning solvent for the hard to reach holes and crevices? I used brake cleaner for the outer parts...

Given your location I'd recommend looking for raw solvents themselves, acetone is the main one. Quick web search got me this: Ingredients in Carburetor Cleaners

Also get yourself some GLOVES...

Best carb dip I have found is a 50/50 solution of simple green and water, boiled in a crock pot.
Be careful how long you leave it in there because it can strip the finish off a carb.
I use it in my ultrasonic cleaner. Not so much Simple Green though. A 1/10 ratio.

-
Back