First time Mopar owner rebuilding a 65 273 Charger motor

-

M.Darrow

Mike Darrow
Reaction score
Hello all. Thrilled to join what looks like a great group. I have recently become the proud owner of a 1965 Dart convertible with a 273 Charger motor. I have torn the engine down and it looks like it was well taken care of. The block is from a 1966 but the crank is forged and all look in great shape. Sadly it appears the dome top pistons were replaced with regular flat tops. Looking to replace them and bring it back to its 10.5:1 glory. I look forward to learning a lot from everyone and hopefully someday giving back helpful advice as I grow in my Mopar experience. Thanks

F6CBA50F-9EBC-45B8-AF82-8D01EB4B01BB.jpeg

D80C9578-EA6C-4D17-B782-4CF88C46F16A.jpeg

75FA5276-98E8-4155-9BF7-68CF74A145EE.jpeg

A5F3B0E5-7757-41DE-9CFD-B939F1B6E162.jpeg

Welcome to FABO, lots of knowledge here - just ask! Any pictures of your Dart?

Welcome. You'll do a lot of reading to sort opinions from facts. Just try to remember "happy moparing" is every ones goal here.
Be prepared for sticker shock when you start shopping for those forged dome top pistons.
You can't get "original glory" from todays puppy pee/pump fuel either.
There are a few engines produced today with higher compression ( Ford ran a TV commercial for about a month that stated 10.5 ) but... they electronically adjust F/A ratio, valve and spark timing 15 ways from Sunday.

Welcome to FABO. There's lots of 273 owners here so lots of help with your project. Check out my 273 build thread. The link is just below.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome. She has a long way to go but she’s solid. If you know anyone selling dome top pistons let me know.

26EDEC50-07DC-4FD6-8AF5-361BCAC3090E.jpeg

5E323757-2F47-478E-83B0-CD1F838E5179.jpeg

F22C282D-3C45-4AA0-9455-821FC8F1142B.jpeg

Welcome. You'll do a lot of reading to sort opinions from facts. Just try to remember "happy moparing" is every ones goal here.
Be prepared for sticker shock when you start shopping for those forged dome top pistons.
You can't get "original glory" from todays puppy pee/pump fuel either.
There are a few engines produced today with higher compression ( Ford ran a TV commercial for about a month that stated 10.5 ) but... they electronically adjust F/A ratio, valve and spark timing 15 ways from Sunday.
I’ve been thinking about what you said about octane and maybe I should stick to the lower compression flat tops. Food for thought. Egge makes replacement domes but they’re cast.. oh and $400!!!

I’ve been thinking about what you said about octane and maybe I should stick to the lower compression flat tops. Food for thought. Egge makes replacement domes but they’re cast.. oh and $400!!!
Yep. Air flow in and out, along with modern spark ignition, and tuning, can exceed the OEM "glory" without the higher compression.

Yep. Air flow in and out, along with modern spark ignition, and tuning, can exceed the OEM "glory" without the higher compression.
Would you suggest a newer cam? IskyE-4 has been popular change. What suggestions do you have for ignition?

Would you suggest a newer cam? IskyE-4 has been popular change. What suggestions do you have for ignition?
I can't say what's best. The GM ignition module is probably best bang for the buck.
I run Chryslers electronic ignition/chrome box simply because I had it here for free. A lot of parts pulled from a 73 model w/ 318 went on my 67 model 273. Spark ignition, charging system, dual plane intake, etc...
p.s. nice car

Isky E 4 works good. Not too far away from the HP 273 specs.Schneider has a nice solid cam for 273's as well. Check out other cam manufacturers. Many have solid cams for small blocks. Don't go too big though. It's easy to over cam the little guys. I still have the original dual point in my 273. It works well. You can put any small block distributor in. I have a single point converted to electronic with a Pertronix kit. It works well too.

Isky E 4 works good. Not too far away from the HP 273 specs.Schneider has a nice solid cam for 273's as well. Check out other cam manufacturers. Many have solid cams for small blocks. Don't go too big though. It's easy to over cam the little guys. I still have the original dual point in my 273. It works well. You can put any small block distributor in. I have a single point converted to electronic with a Pertronix kit. It works well too.
Awesome thanks!

For pistons, check out Egge, Kanter, PAW to name a few. It has been a bit since we talked about 273 hp pistons. I will have to poke around and see if there's more places that have them.
PAW? Where you been for the last 10 years~ :rofl: Nothing but early Hemi now. Save your money and use on a custom cam grind with your stated compression.

upload_2019-3-30_21-59-43.jpeg

Hello all. Thrilled to join what looks like a great group. I have recently become the proud owner of a 1965 Dart convertible with a 273 Charger motor. I have torn the engine down and it looks like it was well taken care of. The block is from a 1966 but the crank is forged and all look in great shape. Sadly it appears the dome top pistons were replaced with regular flat tops. Looking to replace them and bring it back to its 10.5:1 glory. I look forward to learning a lot from everyone and hopefully someday giving back helpful advice as I grow in my Mopar experience. Thanks

View attachment 1715310475

View attachment 1715310476

View attachment 1715310477

View attachment 1715310478

Are we sure it even started out as a 4bbl?...Could just be a 2bbl engine that someone installed a 4bbl intake and carb. Does it have the Commando/Charger cam, dual point, wrinkle valve covers, etc.? From the pics you posted, it looks like a std. 2bbl engine to me....and a '66 273 will be factory with a forged crank...nothing special there.

-
Back