first tnt leaves room for improvment

-

Duster Drag Car

Reaction score
finialy got the old pig down the 1320 first pass 11.993 @109.29 18 lbs in slicks didnt hooked till 100ft sloppy rachet shift and plain nervous seeing i had no idea what the car was going to act like. 2nd pass 11.888 @107.27 15 lbs in slicks and flatened out on the top end.Went back to trailer adjusted pressure to 12 lbs in slicks,opened the air fuel miture a half a turn, toped her off with 93 -110 mix was ready to realy lauch her and she wouldnt turn over either starter relay went or the starter solinoid . gonna fix in the am, with some more tuning and seat time hope to get in the 10s and then ill hit the 150 shot at the top end, it was a start but needs work.

Congrats, you got one under your belt. There's way more in the car, just evaluate what you did today and make a few changes for next time. How did the engine feel? The mph was way off from what I guessed in your "what will it run" thread from last fall.

Congrats! At least you got to get out and do some racing! Still snow on the ground around here and the track don't open for another week of two.

well you got down the track,first time out rarley gives anyone expected result

Glad to hear you made your first outing and in the 11,s to boot.Next weekend will be my first outing for T&T,I hear ya about the nervousness.Hope you can reach the 10,s.:D

Congrats, you got one under your belt. There's way more in the car, just evaluate what you did today and make a few changes for next time. How did the engine feel? The mph was way off from what I guessed in your "what will it run" thread from last fall.

engine felt very strong but it did flaten out at the top end in the 2nd pass thinking of a 950 carb or bigger, i got a lot to think about, i think lower tire pressure will help hook faster and adjusting the shifter or a better one trial and error and seat time will tell.

Your speed is way off for the times you run, to run 10's you'll need a minimum of 120mph.
I always use split washers on the starter, as mine as broke the nose off a couple of times and check it's perfectly aligned as well.
Mick

Just curios, what kind of carb are you running that you can "open the air fuel mixture 1/2 turn"? Is it an edelbrock carter type?

cant wait for my tnt too Da Grove weas to open 2 weeks ago and its still closed.

Are you confusing the idle mixture screws with the main jets? To the best of my knowledge, and please correct me if I am wrong, there is no way to change the off idle mixture on a holley with a screw, only the idle mixture. You need to remove the float bowls and physically change the jets to change the mixture at anything other than idle.....

Are you confusing the idle mixture screws with the main jets? To the best of my knowledge, and please correct me if I am wrong, there is no way to change the off idle mixture on a holley with a screw, only the idle mixture. You need to remove the float bowls and physically change the jets to change the mixture at anything other than idle.....

last time i changed jets in a holley...that is what you need to do...idle mixture screws adjust idle mixture and thats it...

Roger - I'll be around this weekend if you want a hand tuning or tweaking. It sounds to me like it's going lean - probably from low fuel pressure. IIRC you have the hard aluminum fuel line - are there any kinks in it? Did you have a gage to set the fuel pressure? Can you do a fuel volume test? (run the lines from the carb into a marked 5 gallon bucket. Use a stop watch to time how long it takes to pump 2 gallons - do the math to see what it would pump in 1 hour). Regardless of the size of the carb it should not fall flat, it just might be down on power. It was good on the dyno - so it's something about the setup in the car.

What kind of power did it make on the dyno? I agree, the MPH is off for the ET, probably fuel issue.

Roger can answer better - I didn't build it. But I think it was close to 550-600hp. The ET does not even come close to the potential of this engine. But - the car's new to Roger (as are Mopars and a car built to this level), and a lot was just changed on it over the winter. It ran a mild 383 last year. I think it just needs to be debugged.

WOW... That is some low tire pressure.... My old car runs mid 10's with 16lbs of air pressure and 1.45 60' times.. I do not like the feel of low tire pressure on cars at the big end.. The sway is just a no no for me..

8 tenths is allot to pick up on tuning unless the car is WAY off...

Congrats on getting you first TNT out of the way..

WOW... That is some low tire pressure.... My old car runs mid 10's with 16lbs of air pressure and 1.45 60' times...

16lbs, sounds like you were running a radial tire?? My bias plys like 12-13lbs max. If I'm over 13lbs my 60' times suffer. If I'm under 11lbs the car starts to dance on the big end of the track. I'm not sure what type of tire the OP uses.

I know he's got race slicks and tubes. I ran between 8-15psi depending on the car and tire/suspension. I don't like the wiggles either but I don't recall having much of an issue with it running a 29-30" tire.

I run 16PSI in my 10 X 28 Hoosier's & 15.5PSI when I had GoodYears on the car.

My car has 29.5X10.5W M/T on it... It is a ladderbar car that has allot of tuning done to the shocks, bars and springs... Can foot brake it to 3k and it hooks...

Attachments

• Columbus-20130331-00016 (Large).jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 201
-
Back